CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Hi,
I'm a new member from Perth Australia. I'm looking for some help/guidance on my knee problem. I get excruciating pain as soon as I hit about 30 degrees of squat, even with just body weight. Its always felt lateral. I've had two MRI's now that don't show anything significant. There was a question of a chondroid tumour but its not growing so they think its just an abnormal patch of cells in my femoral condyle. I've had physio for tracking and VMO etc. I had an arthroscopy end of May, they scraped my medial and patella mostly. I'm female, 49, 60 kg and 5 foot 2. The doc keeps telling me to give up, succumb to old age etc etc. I run, do weight training, boxing training etc. Plus have a job and lifestyle which are fairly active (being a research horticulturalist).

The last MRI I had yesterday and all it can come up with is a bit of fluid laterally. Patchy cartilage on kneecap and medially (which I knew).

Any ideas on ttmt or other avenues would be appreciated. I think I can get back into running OK but the issue is squatting and weights. Squatting being an issue even to sit down on the toilet! And of course this is putting more pressure on my other knee all the time. I do get some kneecap pain in my left knee of late but I really don't feel this pain in my other knee is kneecap pain.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Plica syndrome????
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
I would not think that the problem is simply old age. Nor do I like the doctor's advice to simply "give up." Whatever the problem is, I am confident that it can be solved.

Edit: Sorry, that may have sounded unhelpful. I just don't have an answer for you besides emotional support.

(Message edited by Benedict on August 17, 2007)
Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Emotional support is fine, giving up is not! :-)
Old 08-17-2007, 03:59 AM   #5
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Is it that one joint that gives you trouble?

Have you tried glucosamine/chondroitin supplements? Fish oil capsules daily? The former is good for building cartilage, and the latter is an excellent anti-inflammatory.

Susie
Old 08-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Gary Luu

Profile:
http://www.triggerpointbook.com/

I get knee pain from basketball...I use the techniques in this book as well as single leg strength work (lunges, split squats, pistols).

Old 08-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Susie - yes, its that one and only joint (or whatever it is). I do already take fish oil and glucosamine - have for some time.

Will look up that ref - thanks Gary.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Cal Jones

Profile:
Hi Aileen.
Absolutely don't give up. I never go to my regular doctor with sports injuries as they are largely useless. Last time I went to a doctor with chronic inflammation of the achilles tendon, he gave me ibuprofen gel. :/
I recommend alternative therapy - an osteopath or physio should be able to spot any anatomical issues that will be contributing to the problem. Massage will help free up tight muscles (a tight iliotibial band is often a culprit in knee pain) and you may knee some custom orthotics if you have other issues such as one leg shorter than the other, and so forth.

If you run, avoid running down any hills (other than mild gradients) as it puts a terrific amount of stress on the knee. My knee flared up right after I started working at a company that was up a 1 in 10 hill. I'd walk up in the morning - great exercise...then run back to the station in the evening. Sure it helped me get on an earlier train home, but it pretty much stopped me squatting for about a year. So not worth it.

And the obvious things...stretch, stretch, stretch. If you have access to a TENS unit (you can buy them in Boots in the UK...not sure about Australia) then they are quite useful for easing sore and tight muscles.

Best of luck.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Thanks. i have been seeing a sports specific physician and an orthopedic surgeon. I never go to my GP for sports stuff either! But of late even my sports doc is trotting out the "You're getting too old for all this line" so he may not last long either!

Had heaps or physio and think my core and VMO pretty good now. Certainly over the last year with a run of back pain and this knee problem both had suffered. Haven't had a massage for far too long - may go this week. I find it really hard to stretch my ITB effectively but the masseur always finds the spot! Did I say my other (left knee) is giving me heaps of ITB/knee cap pain ATM? I do already have orthotics - I got them years back about the time I had achilles problems. We decided I have a wide forefoot, narrow heel and unstable heel - so that's what they were for - not specifically for any pronation issues. Maybe I need to review thm - but the wear on my shoes looks OK.

For the moment I am persisting with the anti-inflammatories - both oral and topical until I see the surgeon again on 29th. I will book in a massage this week. There is a very good rheumatologist at the same practice where my ortho is so might ask his opinion on this plica thing. Ken does a heap of work with athletes and solved my achilles problems in 2 secs flat many years ago (tight calves - deep tissue massage - ouch!)
Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #10
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: Knee pain

Just thought I'd post an update to this. I had a cortisone in my knee on 29 August. Also 2 weeks ago I went to see a musculo-skeletal guy - had 2 visits with him so far. The short version is that it seems my knee issue is really an SI joint issue - which was what I was wondering. He manipulates me and resets my pubic symphysis - which I can do myself or with a partner. I have had two gym sessions now where I seems to be able to relate my knee pain to my back being in or out. I still have residual pain - just a little in one spot when I go really low but I'm hopefuly that this will go over time.

So I think I will be able to squat again! I did two sets today - just with the (Olympic) bar overhead, no weights and was OK and still OK 3 hours later.