CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #31
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan Halbert View Post
Never used a belt, never will. If I can't lift it naturally then it wasn't meant to be. Crazy part is, I can still get my numbers to rise...crazy huh?

For those belt free lifters, build and keep a strong core before really pushing the numbers towards your max.

Just my .02.
Naturally? Where does natural stop? Do you squat barefoot? Do you squat rocks? Or are you okay using machine milled, perfectly balanced barbells with equally perfectly balanced weight plates on either side? Reminds me of people who hold the philosophy "if you can't lift the weight off the ground and put it on your shoulders yourself it shouldn't be squatted." I assume most people are also okay with standing inside a large steel cage that suspends the bar at the proper height so you may position yourself under it?

If someone chooses not to use a belt that is fine by me. I just don't like when people try to explain that it is somehow cheating or it is less "natural." It is a tool. Much like a barbell, much like standardized incremental weights, etc. etc. etc.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #32
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Never used a belt, never will. If I can't lift it naturally then it wasn't meant to be. Crazy part is, I can still get my numbers to rise...crazy huh?
No...that's not crazy.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #33
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:

For those belt free lifters, build and keep a strong core before really pushing the numbers towards your max.

Just my .02.
No one said you wouldn't get stronger beltless....not sure what the point was here? If you were saying that someone has a weaker core due to using a belt, that is wrong.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #34
Lan Halbert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Naturally? Where does natural stop? Do you squat barefoot? Do you squat rocks? Or are you okay using machine milled, perfectly balanced barbells with equally perfectly balanced weight plates on either side? Reminds me of people who hold the philosophy "if you can't lift the weight off the ground and put it on your shoulders yourself it shouldn't be squatted." I assume most people are also okay with standing inside a large steel cage that suspends the bar at the proper height so you may position yourself under it?

If someone chooses not to use a belt that is fine by me. I just don't like when people try to explain that it is somehow cheating or it is less "natural." It is a tool. Much like a barbell, much like standardized incremental weights, etc. etc. etc.
Natural to me means not using "tools" to help me move a weighted object whether it's boulders, a car, tree stumps, or machine milled, perfectly balanced plates. I actually lift barefoot whenever possible and never use "lifting" shoes, but again that's me.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #35
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

In that case chalk would be a "tool".

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #36
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Natural to me means not using "tools" to help me move a weighted object whether it's boulders, a car, tree stumps, or machine milled, perfectly balanced plates. I actually lift barefoot whenever possible and never use "lifting" shoes, but again that's me.
If barefoot and beltless works, I say roll with it! No one here will say that going beltless is a bad thing, just there is a lot of information out there as to what the belt actually does.

Myself, I am a belt user, and always will be. In no way does it do any of the work in moving the weight, I find it acts as a good cue if I dont have a deep enough breath. My belt is perfectly fit when I have good pressure in my belly, if I dont have that full breath in there, it pinches my sides a little, right there I know to inhale before continuing.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #37
Lan Halbert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
If barefoot and beltless works, I say roll with it! No one here will say that going beltless is a bad thing, just there is a lot of information out there as to what the belt actually does.

Myself, I am a belt user, and always will be. In no way does it do any of the work in moving the weight, I find it acts as a good cue if I dont have a deep enough breath. My belt is perfectly fit when I have good pressure in my belly, if I dont have that full breath in there, it pinches my sides a little, right there I know to inhale before continuing.
I hear you. My reasoning is if you can't move a certain weight without a "belt" than in essence it IS helping you move the weight. I also wasn't faulting anyone whatsoever for using one, just more or less commenting that lifting heavy doesnt require one and having a stronger core helps stability issues with heavier weight.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #38
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

You continue to miss the point that the assistance it gives you raises your unbelted strength too.Wearing a shoe with a sole on it keeps me from having my feet torn to shreds. It is assisting me running. You can run faster in footwear. One would have a weak case to say you are better served by being totally barefoot.

Your logic sound in that it makes sense on the surface. The reality is that not using certain tools of fitness can be done, but you are consciously making the choice to not be as fast or as strong as you otherwise would be. In the end it nets you nothing except saying you run totally barefoot, or lift without a belt. It is your choice of course. I am not dogging you, just countering your logic.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #39
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I will expand some more with my training story right now. I was seeing an Olympic Lifting coach who would not let me use a nice thick power lifting belt when doing front squats after the Olympic Lifts. His logic was, if I can't use a powerlifting belt in an Olympic Lifting competition, there is no point training with it (I disagree with this logic). After a little while, my front squat reached a plateau. I then Stopped Olympic lifting for the entire month of December, continued to do my own work in my home gym which included front squats with a belt. Now going back to Olympic Lifting in the month of January, my un-belted front squat weight is up significantly. What was a 2rm un-belted a month ago is now a 5rm un-belted.

-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)

Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #40
Andrea Kirk

Profile:
Caffeine as a supplement

Not sure that this belongs in nutrition, but . . . I've been looking into time of day and athletic performance. Seems like there's a lot of research on this, and afternoons are better. Wrote it up along with caffeine as a means of counteracting the morning effect.

Hope its helpful.