CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Mediterranean Diet Article in Today's Dietitian Magazine.

There's a good article on the Mediterranean diet in this months Today's Dietitian Magazine that might interest anyone looking for an healthier alternative to Paleo.

The Mediterranean Diet A Practical Guide to Shopping, Menu Ideas, and Recipes By Sharon Palmer, RD. (wfs)
Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: Mediterranean Diet Article in Today's Dietitian Magazine.

Good article, Darryl. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the pescetarian diet? This would be a vegan or vegetarian diet with fish and shellfish added in.

I understand that vegans oppose consuming flesh of sentient creatures, but does this extend to all animals? Mollusks aren't sentient in the way that a goat is, nor are grubs and insects. Has the issue of sentience been aired out within the vegan community? What were some of the differing conclusions? I know Jains stick with a very strict interpretation, but I was curious to know if others have a different view of the matter.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Page Johnson

Profile:

Interesting that the author pretty much started off by quoting Ancel Key's work.

Regardless, I think a Mediterranean style diet can work well for many people, such as those without grain or dairy issues.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Seubert View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the pescetarian diet? This would be a vegan or vegetarian diet with fish and shellfish added in.
Well, pescetarian diets are certainly healthier than the typical meat heavy Western diet but that doesn't necessarily mean they're significantly healthier than diets which allow the occasional consumption of modest amounts of red meat. Indeed, unless there's some kind of religious prohibition against it most healthy long lived populations include meat and other sources of animal protein in their diets.

Quote:
I understand that vegans oppose consuming flesh of sentient creatures, but does this extend to all animals? Mollusks aren't sentient in the way that a goat is, nor are grubs and insects. Has the issue of sentience been aired out within the vegan community? What were some of the differing conclusions? I know Jains stick with a very strict interpretation, but I was curious to know if others have a different view of the matter.
I can't speak for the vegan community as a whole but to my knowledge they're opposed to the consumption of all living creatures regardless of how simple their central nervous system is.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
There's a good article on the Mediterranean diet in this months Today's Dietitian Magazine that might interest anyone looking for an healthier alternative to Paleo.

The Mediterranean Diet A Practical Guide to Shopping, Menu Ideas, and Recipes By Sharon Palmer, RD. (wfs)
Cheers Darryl, very interesting.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Nice article. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
I can't speak for the vegan community as a whole but to my knowledge they're opposed to the consumption of all living creatures regardless of how simple their central nervous system is.
Darryl, thanks for the reply to the perhaps seemingly odd question. That was a goofup on my part. For some reason, I had your name associated with vegan, and so thought you had some personal expertise in the matter. Maybe I had you confused with Darryl, Darryl, and Darryl?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Seubert View Post
Darryl, thanks for the reply to the perhaps seemingly odd question. That was a goofup on my part. For some reason, I had your name associated with vegan, and so thought you had some personal expertise in the matter. Maybe I had you confused with Darryl, Darryl, and Darryl?
No, I describe myself as almost vegan so you got the right Darryl. It's just that I'm not part of any kind of vegan community so I can't really speak on their behalf.