CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Austin Bray

Profile:
strength training helps my asthma

31m, 6ft 230lbs

I've done crossfit wods for a long time and found that any vigorous motions(running, rowing, wallballs, kipping pullups... anything where I am moving quickly) never failed to give my asthma fits and leaving me short of breath for hours.

Recently however I began doing nothing more than lifting.(squat, dl, press, bench) sets of 15, 10 and 5 and found that they (especially the sets of 15) get my heart rate up without triggering my asthma.

My quality of life has improved substantially. I seem to recall however, from my younger days that once my % body fat gets low enough that I AM able to run and whatnot without asthma problems, but when I've got more fat on me it's asthma city.

TL;DR: fatties with asthma, try just lifting till you get your weight down. It's working for me!

Last edited by Austin Bray : 02-20-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: strength training helps my asthma

Do you use an inhaler before "any vigorous motions?" With that, you can train cardio, reduce the demand at the lungs to breathe CO2 off (due to increased efficiency at the cellular level), and have lesser risk of aggravating your asthma.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I had pretty bad asthma as a kid. My asthma improved when I started working out, doing more than just biking everywhere and doing the occasional jog. It improved further when I started adding sprint work into my training.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Bruce Harper

Profile:

I had asthma as a kid and really struggled with things like little league sports and PE class. Once I started doing controlled workouts in college it went away though. I haven't had an attack in years and I credit that to staying fit with cross training, eating right, and just living a generally healthy lifestyle.

Bruce Harper
"The best way to know how to handle situations with somebody in a wheelchair is to ask somebody in a wheelchair." ~ Daniel Sutherland
www.braunability.com