CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:
"grace"

Man.... I did this today, even though I scaled it to 95#. SO HARD.
First off I did my strength because I got to my gym early, so I benched, then my training partner came up and said were doing Grace. First off I don't practice enough olympic lifts anyway, so I knew this was going to be difficult. I banged it out in 3:27.... man, I had to sit for like ten minutes before I could even get some water. Very hard, makes me want to incorporate more oly lifts into my strength regimen.

I think I am going to be sticking to doing classic benchmarks on my CF days.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: "grace"

Incorporating more Oly lifts into your programming is good. However, realistically, having better form on your C&J is not going to help you with Grace. A fast Grace time relies on you being able to completely disregard form in order to get the bar from ground to overhead as fast as possible. I mean, Grace is my favorite WOD, but it's not Olympic lifting. Just like people muscle snatching 135 lbs with a press out during Isabel isn't snatching.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Yep, Grace is a crusher - but if you do not practice Oly Lifts, then I question why you did it at all. That is a lot of reps, and the potential for injury exists even at 95# with poor form.

Given that you completed it in such a short time, I'd guess you could probably do it with the prescribed weight -- but I would caution that you really need to work on your C&J technique before attempting it.

best of luck.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

thanks, the guy I train with is CF lvl 1 certified and I had him watch me, he didn't count 2 reps because of bad form, said my form was good for the rest of them, with that said I still felt my lower back round on a few in the later of them. It did not hurt though, so we will see, my arms were killed though...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

If your arms are sore from Grace, you likely did a bunch of reverse curls getting it to your rack, and/or you did a lot of pressing of the weight overhead.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
If your arms are sore from Grace, you likely did a bunch of reverse curls getting it to your rack, and/or you did a lot of pressing of the weight overhead.
makes sense, being that I don't really ever do oly. gotta work on technique. Thanks Sean.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

You'd be surprised, but there is actually a tendency to do this with the lighter weights because you are not "forced" to use proper technique. Once you use weights heavy enough to require good technique, either you use proper form, or you fail the lift.

Best of luck with the training.

Edit:
*** I should say that the above is true for NEW lifters ***

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 10-06-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Incorporating more Oly lifts into your programming is good. However, realistically, having better form on your C&J is not going to help you with Grace. A fast Grace time relies on you being able to completely disregard form in order to get the bar from ground to overhead as fast as possible. I mean, Grace is my favorite WOD, but it's not Olympic lifting. Just like people muscle snatching 135 lbs with a press out during Isabel isn't snatching.
I agree.

Did Grace "prison rules" style at the gym last Saturday. Rx'd, 4:14. My back was a bit "tight" for a couple days.

I want to say experience with O-lifts helps during Grace for sure, but I also think what Tamara is saying is true, and you're not really cleaning or jerking anything. A forced jumpy arm pulling reverse curl and a push press-press out.

Thinking further, it's a good show of intensity cause it fricking hurts. Other than that, I really don't think there's much to be proud of.

ps: we did squat clean grace over the summer, and my time was 11:something, quite a difference!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Gillian Steele

Profile:

One of the guys here in Australia did in 84 seconds as rx'd, my coach does it in 95 seconds as rxd!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Edward Morrison

Profile:

I would like some opinion on something regarding grace. Alot of the videos on youtube and awesome times are not clean and jerk but clean and push press. Now I understand that more power is generated from the push jerk and therefore the push press should technically be harder and no advantage. But60kg's is not a hell of a lot to push press, and the push press is much faster and requires a lot less co-ordination,balance, agility, etc to execute than the push jerk.
Anyway my point is that I actually haven't seen a really fast grace that is push jerk for 30 reps, perhaps i'm just misinterpreting the workout.
But there's a workout (can't remember if it is a named girl) :21-18-15-12-9-6 push jerk and sumo deadlift highpull @75lbs/55lbs. Now clearly the weight in this workout is light enought to pushpress, even strict press. But the difficulty in that workout is executing the pushjerk multiple times at high intensity. And for anyone who has done that workout they will know a huge amount of emphasis is put on the fact that you are doing the push jerk and not the push press. Should grace be in the same category?