CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Cutting weight

Does anyone know specifics for cutting weight before a fight? Obviously you cut weight during your camp, but I'm talking the 24-48 hours before a weigh-in, or before a fight. Sure, there's dehydration, but how would you best go about it? When would you start? And how long does it take to adequately rehydrate before a fight? I'd appreciate it if anyone has any knowledge on the subject. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Alix James

Profile:
Re: Cutting weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Does anyone know specifics for cutting weight before a fight? Obviously you cut weight during your camp, but I'm talking the 24-48 hours before a weigh-in, or before a fight. Sure, there's dehydration, but how would you best go about it? When would you start? And how long does it take to adequately rehydrate before a fight? I'd appreciate it if anyone has any knowledge on the subject. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

When I was fighting regular (currently on 29 fights but absent from training at the moment), I used to have a 5-6 day system running up to weigh in. Incremental water loading, Vitamin C intake manipulation, carb manipulation etc. I could usually drop from around 72kg to 62-64kg in around this 5-6 day period. Ideally your coach should be supervising your water dropping as he will know your nutritional state/energy/fitness levels etc and be able to optimise it for you.

If you want any more details or advise PM me some more specific details on your experience / weight / current diet etc and the times/dates of weigh in / fight etc.

Regards, Alix
Old 12-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Dustin Peterson

Profile:

Quote:
FIRST OFF NO FLUIDS
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Ben Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix James View Post
Hi,

When I was fighting regular (currently on 29 fights but absent from training at the moment), I used to have a 5-6 day system running up to weigh in. Incremental water loading, Vitamin C intake manipulation, carb manipulation etc. I could usually drop from around 72kg to 62-64kg in around this 5-6 day period. Ideally your coach should be supervising your water dropping as he will know your nutritional state/energy/fitness levels etc and be able to optimise it for you.

If you want any more details or advise PM me some more specific details on your experience / weight / current diet etc and the times/dates of weigh in / fight etc.

Regards, Alix
This...although my experience is from the Strongman side of things....
Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Peterson View Post
FIRST OFF NO FLUIDS
Care to expand upon that?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Danim Suer

Profile:

The best information I've ever received for day before weigh ins (or any weigh in that wasn't day of) was from "The Grappler's Guide to Nutrition" by Dr. John Berardi. It gives weight cutting tips on a schedule, what to do and when. A quick search will get you what you need.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Care to expand upon that?
Simple. Water weight is the easiest weight to lose, and the fastest to come back.

The risk, of course, is being so dehydrated you can't fight.

Katherine
Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Simple. Water weight is the easiest weight to lose, and the fastest to come back.

The risk, of course, is being so dehydrated you can't fight.

Katherine
Yes, I realise as much. I've played with dehydration now, and can happily make 65kg, and could certainly go lighter if I chose to do so. I was just wondering what sort of time frame he was recommending for dehydrating.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Pearse - what event are you preparing for, what weight are you at, and where do you need to be? How long before you compete is your weigh in?

In regards to dehydrating -- Cutting water weight is not just about cutting off fluids. You actually want to increase fluids for a period of time prior to dehydrating.

Please be careful of following random internet advice. Lots of bad advice out there from inexperienced people. I've spent a lot of time around world-class wrestlers and also seen amateur BJJ and Muay Thai guys attempt this stuff and there's a big difference in how it works for people who know what they're doing and how well they're able to perform after the fact.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
John Harris

Profile:

Quote:
MONDAY-TUESDAY
-2 GALLONS WATER
TAKE DANDELION ROOT 1000MG, VIT B6 200MG, AND VIT C 500MG TWICE MORNING, EVENING
SODIUM LOAD
WEDNESDAY
3.5 GALLONS WATER
TAKE DANDELION ROOT 1000MG, VIT B6 200MG, AND VIT C 500MG TWICE MORNING, EVENING
SMOOTH MOVE
PULL SODIUM
THURSDAY
1 GALLON WATER
SMOOTH MOVE
SOAK IN EPSON SALT HOT BATH AND ROTATE 15 MIN ON AND 15 OFF FOR 3-4 ROTATIONS
FRIDAY
8-16OZ WATER UPON WAKING UP ON FRIDAY
NO SUPPLEMENTS
I train a professional boxer (www.alfonsolopez3.com WFS) who used the above protocol to drop weight for a recent fight. I did this cut with him and personally lost 20 pounds in a couple of weeks. We each dropped ~11 pounds on the final day and were even able to eat a light breakfast and a few grapes for lunch.

This is for a weigh in that is at least 24 hours from competition (our competition was Saturday in this example and weigh ins were Friday).

Friday schedule looked like this:

9 am - Wake up and check weight
9:30 - Light breakfast and coffee (two boiled eggs)
11:00 - 1 hour treadmill with sauna suit. (we wore heart rate monitors here and kept HR moving but not too high. HR 120 to 155 for me, less for Alfonso because his natural range is lower.)
12:00 - Cool down wearing sauna suit.
12:25 - Take sauna suit off in bathroom with heater on and hot water running in shower. (we were improvising here because we were in a hotel out of town and there wasn't a sauna nearby)
1:00 - Cool down and check weight (Alfonso had lost 7 pounds already at this time. I think I'd lost 6)
1:30 - 30 min nap and check weight again
2:00 - Repeat 1 hour on treadmill, cool down and sauna (hot bathroom) this time wearing clothes in the sauna.
4:00 - Check weight (at this point we'd made it so we rested until we left for weigh in.)
5:30 - Check weight on official scales to see if we could have water ( I snuck some water at this point because I wasn't weighing on official scales but I don't do it in front of my fighter)
6:30 - Weigh In - Immediately drink water with electrolytes, Pedialyte, watered down gatorade etc. Mainly water. No food until you have about a gallon of water. Start with fruit or something that you digest easily.

The key to this process is to reduce the time that your body is dehydrated. Dehydration is unhealthy and can damage your body in a lot of ways. You minimize this by reducing the amount of time that you are in that state.

Also, rehydrating and reloading your muscle glycogen is just as important. I regained around 15 pounds in the 24 hours after weigh ins. Alfonso gained a little more.

He felt strong and won by 12th round KO. This was the best he's felt after cutting weight.

A few tips and notes:

1. Trying to cut more than about 5-7% of your bodyweight in the last day is not recommended.
2. Don't take diuretics stronger than the Dandelion root and coffee they'll hurt your rehydration and it's easier to get KO'd if your brain doesn't have water protecting it.
3. Don't try this for a competition without practicing it first. You'll want to know how your body will react to the sodium manipulation so you'll know where you need to be the morning of weigh ins. Don't forget to practice rehydrating and re-feeding yourself.
4. If your weigh ins are not in the evening you may need to get up pretty early to start this process.
5. During the water loading I was pretty acid and took Calcium/Magnesium supplements to maintain PH balance. I tested urine PH with these (http://www.microessentiallab.com/ WFS). You can also drink high PH water available at Whole Foods and a few other places. Distilled will make you more acid.
6. Obviously if you aren't lean, then getting lean in the first place is a good idea.

Let me know if you'd like more details on this. I think that covers almost everything.