CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:
Proper Footwear for CFE Cycle

I'm getting ready to start a CrossFit Endurance cyle for the months of August, September, and October. The cycle will culminate with the Marine Corps Marathon 10K on the last day of October, and will include the Navy 5 Miler in September. I'm an avid CrossFitter and, in the interest of mixing things up, I've decided to spend a few months focusing on endurance.

I currently own a pair of VFFs and Nike Free 5.0. I'm now using the POSE method of running and trying to use the VFFs for my distance work. The Nike Frees don't work for POSE running because they still have a significant heel. For reference, I ran the 10K last October at a 6.42/mile pace.

So, here's my issue: are VFFs really appropriate for running a race on pavement? I love using them for my speed/interval work on the track, but they really leave my calf/achilles area destroyed. I think what I really need is something in between the Nike Free 5.0 and the VFF; does such a shoe exist? Please recommend an appropriate shoe for someone using the POSE method who is about to undertake a CFE cycle. Thank you.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Tim Nakashima

Profile:
Re: Proper Footwear for CFE Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian B. Vaneria View Post
So, here's my issue: are VFFs really appropriate for running a race on pavement? I love using them for my speed/interval work on the track, but they really leave my calf/achilles area destroyed. I think what I really need is something in between the Nike Free 5.0 and the VFF; does such a shoe exist? Please recommend an appropriate shoe for someone using the POSE method who is about to undertake a CFE cycle. Thank you.
Sounds like you just need to let your legs adapt to the POSE method and running in VFFs. Once you adapt, you won't keep getting sore whether running on pavement or not. Have you checked out the Inov8 shoes? I don't own a pair, but the heels appear to be pretty low pro. Otherwise, the shoes recommended on the POSE site should work.

Tim
Old 07-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Just curious, why are you switching to pose? Was your previous running form causing injuries or something?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Just curious, why are you switching to pose? Was your previous running form causing injuries or something?
That's a good question. My previous running form wasn't causing injuries, but I think CrossFit scared me into thinking that I would eventually injure myself if I continued to run in bulky running shoes. I watched all the POSE videos and read the CFE material and have really bought into it. If figure that if I'm going to continue running, then I should learn to do it in the most efficient manner.

When I POSE run in my VFFs, my form feels great and my speed is there; unfortunately, I still get pain in my calf/achilles area when I do anything over 800 meters.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

How long have you been running POSE? How long have you been running in VFFs?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
How long have you been running POSE? How long have you been running in VFFs?
I bought the VFFs in March and have been POSE running since that time. I use them for METCONs whenever possible, and mix in some running practice here and there.

But, I want to get back to my main point: are VFFs appropriate for running race on pavement? Should I consider a shoe with a little more padding but still with a heel drop close to zero?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

After doing some research on the CFE site and reading message boards from the past, I learned that CFE seems to endorse the Adidas Adizero Pros. They are racing flats, which should serve as a nice supplement to my VFFs. My plan is to run as much as possible in the VFFs and to use the Adizeros for longer distances. We'll see how it goes . . .
Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
John McBrien

Profile:

First, as a quick clarification, what we teach at the endurance certification is very similar to the POSE Method (and shares similarities with several other methodologies as well) but is not the actual "POSE Method," since that is a copyrighted method by Dr. Romanov.

Second, we don't prescribe using Vibrams all the time because our goal is ultimately performance. If you can get a better performance out of a racing flat or a shoe with a little more cushioning (say an Inov-8 versus Vibrams, for example) then that to us is ideal. Also, a lot of people think that wearing Vibrams fixes running errors which is not true. I am seeing a whole plethora of mechanical issues with Vibrams wearers that are just as bad as those with thick running shoes that promote heel striking.