CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #21
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:
Smile Re: Jonathan's Crossfit progression

Ahh! It feels good to be sore again! I definitely worked hard yesterday and I'm feeling it today. Today I'm going to stick to my idea of 1 on, 1 off...but I am going to do some running...either intervals, wind sprints or just a one mile run.

I forgot to mention that yesterday I did something very different when performing any movements requiring shoulder movement. Numerous times in my life I've been told I have weak or loose shoulders/hips etc...apparently it has something to do with tendon length. I spent some time this weekend perusing the injury section (looking for info about bicep forearm soreness) and found some great info on proper engagement of the shoulder girdle during pushing and pulling exercises. Apparently I've been doing them wrong my whole life!

So yesterday I did really light weight pull-ups and dips and broke the push-ups into groups of ten so that I could really focus on form. It really made quite a difference. Only now have I realized just how much shoulder pain I was enduring during these exercises. I mean, sure I'm sore today but it's a muscle soreness not joint pain. Also, it feels like I've worked more of the stabilizer and "trunk" muscles. The best part about it, my left arm didn't hinder me at all and has been only slightly more uncomfortable today then yesterday. Rock on! \m/

Now I just have to stick to this way of doing things.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:
Re: Jonathan's Crossfit progression

I forgot to post my dreadful pseudo-"Angie" time yesterday!

26:55

Oooo that's no bueno...

I really need to get more sleep and eat more consistently...
Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #23
Michael Mohammadi

Profile:

Get on board DILGEN!!

I'm gonna do the 120/120 today, then 4 miles with the huskies...you ready to run around 7 PM or what?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #24
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Nice work yesterday Mike!

I basically just hung around the gym yesterday while Mike was doing his WOD. I did do a single set of 8 dips with sporadic form problems. I did run around the gym a little and did 15-20 minutes of volleyball drills against the wall and with Greg, but mostly just checked out the new area at the gym and tried to set or pass the volleyball into the b-ball hoop.

While Mike was running his 4 miles I ran about 2.5 miles of intervals, alternating between an all out sprint and walking. I transitioned between the two with jogging but I probably should have eased into the full sprint a little more. Live and learn.

I ordered 'starting strength' over the weekend as a reference for Olympic lifts...I may try the novice program once I read it. I'm a little wary of what I've read on the forums regarding something called 'GOMAD'. Both drinking a gallon of milk a day and trying to get 7000 calories per day sounds not only expensive, but damn near impossible. Hopefully I'll understand what people are posting about a bit better after reading it.

I'm still not sure what I should do at the gym today. I'm still pretty sore/tight from Sunday's workout.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #25
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Yesterday:

CrossFit warm-up: 3 rounds
Samson Stretch
10 OH squats
10 sit-ups
10 back extensions
10 pull-ups (100 #'s assisted on the gravitron)
10 dips (100 #'s assisted on the gravitron)

Fran! 1st ever...and scaled 16:52
21-15-9
Thrusters 65# (these winded me)
Jumping pull-ups (jumping felt like cheating, but I did 3 dead hangs within the workout)

No cool down! Bad idea.

Definitely going to try to eat better (paleo + milk), sleep more, and really work on strength building exercises.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #26
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Did the WOD from the main page. Probably not the best idea given that I did Fran yesterday.

Scaled to Pack-ish: Used the 45# bar, did "beginner" pull-ups and went for the whole 20 minutes (didn't see that the time was scaled down too ).

3 rounds plus 250m row and 8 SDLHP's

This didn't feel like much of a MetCon to me, I'm guessing that's because I was going slow and concentrating on form for the SDLHP and I was really favoring my biceps on the pull-ups. My back is feeling taxed for sure.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #27
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

I gave blood yesterday, so I rested and ran the 5K today.

27:43

Better than last time but I felt terrible through most of it. Too full, out of breath and working very hard for each step. I guess it will build character...

I need to start running more (faster, but shorter runs) and eating smaller meals more often.

So, I ignored my plan to go 1 on and 1 off. I'm going to try just scaling back the WOD and doing what I can handle. It's just hard to know my limits sometimes. I want to be where my housemate is, but I'm months if not a year from that...

Last edited by Jonathan Dilgen : 10-10-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #28
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

So I took a few days off and I'm using the excuse that I am recovering from giving blood. I'm going to make a few changes to my schedule. I've been reading a copy of starting strength (1st ed.) that some one has posted on the web. I ordered my own copy of the 2nd ed. last weekend and it should finally come in tomorrow. So, the plan is I'm going to read it cover to cover, devise a program and start it on Monday. The rest of this week I will use for getting familiar with all of the exercises using the bar or very low weights.

I think this will be advantageous for a couple of important reasons. I am not a strong guy by my own standards and using starting strength will certainly help me there. This gives me a great way to continue to rest my left arm which has a touch of tendinitis (or even a partial tendon tear).

Did some of the "workout A" exercises today.

Full squats, man did they feel different. Good but different, and my knees didn't hurt afterward.

2 x 5 45# bar
1 x 5 95#
3 x 5 115# I stopped increasing the weight there because I could feel my form breaking down. Should have only increased by 5 pounds per set but I will do that Monday when I start SS for real.

I also did some bench work
2 x 5 45#
1 x 5 65#
1 x 5 75#
1 x 5 85# form broke down a little here
3 x 5 80#
This felt familiar but also a little weird since I've been doing them incorrectly for a while.

Ran out of time after 1 set of deadlifts and I didn't get a chance to really read or watch videos on these yet.
1 x 5 65#
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #29
Michael Mohammadi

Profile:

Dilgen, get on board...where is your training at?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #30
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

It's been too long...I've been slacking on keeping a log, dieting and crossfit. Started getting back into everything about two weeks ago.

Yesterday I did the WOD scaled down to 50's

50 pull-ups
8 total were dead-hang, ~15 jumping with the negative and the remainder were on the gravitron with 10 to 40 lbs assisted. I really need to stop using that thing for metcons after today but more on that below.

50 push-ups
50 sit-ups with shoulders and shoulder blades to the ground each time (rubbed the skin around my tailbone raw like last time!)
50 squats

I didn't write down my time but it was about 33 minutes.

Today:

'Fran' Rx'd but with 65# barbell

21-15-9

65# thrusters
pull-ups

10:35!

Pretty psyched about this since I did the reps as rx'd. I 'kipped' all of the pull-ups. I probably didn't kip as your supposed to (didn't push away at the top) but it helped getting all of them done.

I'm thinking that I'll stick with 65#'s until I can get my time down to 5 minutes and then go up to 95#'s.