CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Michael Mohammadi

Profile:
Re: Jonathan's Crossfit progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Dilgen View Post
Now I feel exhausted...but I can't imagine how Mike feels since he had an hour long swimming lesson at 7:30 this morning with his triathlon training coach.

Good workout! But I'm beat...
I FEEL GREAT!!!!!

I'm starving though...need carbs bad so I can push myself tonight on the 4 mile run

You running with me tonight?

Great work these past few days Jonathon, really starting to see BIG improvements in your level of fitness as well as your body. Looking good you w*ore!!!

You're gonna have to stick to near-Paleo and push yourself this weekend on your trip. I don't want to hear stories of cheesesteaks, fries, pizza and cup cakes and beer when you get back on Monday!!!

FOCUS MAN FOCUS!!!

Last edited by Michael Mohammadi : 09-18-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Even on the message board, I can feel the intensity...

I feel pretty good now but my arms are starting to feel sore from the extra progressions and assisted pull-ups I did today. Goal time: I want to be able to do 20 unassisted pull-ups by October 1st. Is this goal unrealistic? Maybe so, but I'm going for it anyway.

A solid 6-8 hours of moving boxes and heavy furniture tomorrow will be a good test of my endurance I think. But, I'm looking forward to being able to run circles around my brother-in-law. It would be awesome to get him doing CrossFit too.

BTW someone should really add 'CrossFit' to the dictionary that spell-check's this site.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Playing catch up:

Saturday I helped move my sister, brother-in-law and niece. My back got a pretty good workout so all I did was some hand stand push-up progressions. Sunday (rest day) I was at a wedding in the evening where I had some drinks and a little bit of bread...but the worst was the McDonalds that was hand delivered at 2 am...I think I had one of their new angus burgers and I know I had some fries...very non-paleo. I felt disgusted with myself afterward.

Yesterday I drove from Saratoga, NY to Baltimore and stopped to see my Parents on the way through Albany. After a ton of driving and eating like crap I was glad to be back in an environment where its easy to get back on the horse.

Today, to make up for yesterday, I doubled up. I did some 5 more sets of handstand push-ups (7-8 reps per set). Then I practiced push-presses and push-jerks with the bar. Next, I practiced deadlifts with the bar.

To warm-up for all of this I did a couple of rounds of pull-ups, dips, push-ups, body weight squats, samson stretches. I did 5 pull-ups unassisted in the first round, then 3 and then 1. Not great..my left arm is a bit sore. I may have strained it a bit doing cleans with incorrect form a little while ago. I should probably take it easy.

Finished up with some lap swimming and now I'm exhausted physically.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Warmed up on the concept 2 (500 m) and did some bodyweight squats and push-ups.

Did 3 rounds of today's WOD.

Bench:
95# x10
105# x9
115# x9

Pull-ups (gravitron assisted):
55# x12
40# x10
40# x8

Deadlifts subbed for squat since we don't have access to a squat rack yet:
95# x8
95# x8
95# x7

After watching others doing deadlifts today I figured out how to do them without rounding my back or skinning the crap out of my knees. My back feels fine but my hams and glutes are feeling like they worked.

Swam a few laps for a cool-down.

I haven't lost any weight (still 181#) but I am definitely leaner in the midsection and arms.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Rest day:

Rode the stationary bike for 5 or 10 minutes, then practiced some kipping pull-ups. My last set I was able to get five in a row. It was easy once I got a rhythm going. Did some ab work and threw a medicine ball around with Mike before hitting the pool. Nothing crazy, nothing timed, just had fun with everything. We even played some ping pong before heading up to the main gym floor.

Life is pretty good right now since I turned in my thesis!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Michael Mohammadi

Profile:

Jonathon: Weight is just a stupid number. Your body mass and shape have changed significantly since we started training together. You are leaner, performing much better on the WOD's, and have made great strides in your running time (no pun intended).

Keep up the great work!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mohammadi View Post
Jonathon: Weight is just a stupid number. Your body mass and shape have changed significantly since we started training together. You are leaner, performing much better on the WOD's, and have made great strides in your running time (no pun intended).

Keep up the great work!
You're absolutely right, Mike: weight is a stupid number and I shouldn't put too much stock in it.

Since last Thursday I've been taking it kind of easy since my left bicep is still feeling less than 100%. Mike and I have been busy nonetheless. We've been swimming everyday, except Sunday when we ran a race in the rain. I came in 2nd overall in the 5k and Mike took 1st in the 10k. It was a small field but I still feel pretty good about my performance. My unofficial time was 27:00, and my watch said 26:59 when I stopped it. Not my best time, but the course was a bit more rough than I'm used to and my shoes were full of water from all the puddles in the first part of the course. There is a more extensive account of our exploits on Sunday morning including a spirited game of touch football against three of the toughest 10 year old's I've ever played on Mike's blog http://www.beyondironman.com (WFS).

Yesterday we played basketball for a while before doing a semi-crossfit warmup and then hit the pool. We spent close to two hours in the gym, mostly checking out the newly opened courts/powerlifting area.

Today my whole body has felt sluggish, which has been effected in no small way by recent events that have rocked my lab as well as the whole of the University of Maryland at Baltimore community pretty hard. Mike and I went to the pool and swam some laps but I felt awful most of the time. Overall not a great day...or week for that matter. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep a little better tonight and be ready for a more challenging workout on the morrow.

Yeah, I really just said, "on the morrow"

Thanks for the kind words, Mike.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
Michael Mohammadi

Profile:

Good swim this morning and great job working through the pain, both mental and physical.

Every dark cloud has a silver lining, stay focused, eating well, and training hard and give yourself time to let stuff sink in and process what you're feeling and you'll come out of this stronger and a better man.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #19
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Again, thanks for the encouraging words. Today was still rough, but it felt good to get up early and exercise, as well as the walk outside with the dogs. I'd like to add more hiking to my life...
Old 10-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #20
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Haven't posted in a while, mostly because I've been resting. Lack of sleep and being emotionally drained have really taken the wind out of my sails. Additionally, my left bicep and forearm have been bothering me. It's either a strain or a partial tear of the distal tendon. I'm hoping it's the former. Anyway...

Last Thursday was another rest day.

Friday I ran a 5K out and back street route in 29:38, which I thought was quite terrible. I ought to be getting faster, not slowing down. I think that doing too much may have caused my declining performance. Running, swimming, and Crossfit almost everyday with almost no time off leaves very little time for recovery. So from here on out I'm going to follow a 1 on 1 off Crossfit schedule, stick with the paleo and try to get more sleep. I may also start running every other morning on the off days. Just a mile to start with. Assuming I can handle that after a few weeks I may increase the workload again.

Tonight I did a modified "Angie" 50 reps
50 Pull-ups (gravitron assisted 100 lbs)
50 push-ups
50 sit-ups
50 squats

I also did the Crossfit warm-up before Angie, with gravitron assitance on the pull-ups and dips @ 100 lbs. I also had to use the lightest fixed weight barbell in the gym since I couldn't get a hold of a broomstick for OH squats.

Overall I did 80 assisted pull-ups, which may have been too much given my arm. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.