CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Christine Denahan

Profile:
I compete in Triathlons and 5K/10K races and love them because of the ranking, intensity and competitiveness of this hobby. I am new to Crossfit and like the same philosophy of intensity, performance and competition.

I have trained for these races in traditional ways - endurance runs, swims, bikes, but with the Crossfit philosophy I am trying to understand the balance of "letting go" of some endurance training in favor of the anaerobic intensity of the WODs. It seems hard to believe that without longer aerobic workouts, as Crossfit suggests, that you will have the endurance for when you need it, AND be better at it. I want to believe this. I think Crossfit is EXCITING and I'm really glad to have found it, but would like some advice on how to add in the WOD and modify the endurance correctly without screwing it up....so I can still perform (and win/place)in these races? Also, what about a half-marathon distance??

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Try the search function, this subject has been covered in great detail.
BTW, welcome aboard.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:
Christine,
I have been doing CrossFit for about a little over a year and a half. I just did my first triathlon this past April. My training consisted mostly of CrossFit workouts. A couple months before the race I started swimming. About a month before the race I added in some biking. I didn't really do any running outside of the CrossFit workouts (400's, and occasionally a mile for warm-up). Outside of the WODs, I focused mainly on swimming because I completely sucked at it and thought I was going to die the first few times I swam.

So, with doing mostly CrossFit, moderate swimming, and occasionally biking, I got first in my age group and third overall (females). I did CrossFit and worked on my weakness (the swim).

I am still training with CrossFit and for triathlons (I have another one coming up in August). I almost never swim or bike for more than an hour at a time and try to keep the intensity up. Right now I am doing CrossFit daily and biking and swimming each once a week. Both my riding and swimming take on more of an interval form with hills on the bike and 300's, 200's, 100's and 50's in the pool.

I'm not sure about the half-ironman distance...I've only competed in sprints. But if you have an more specific questions, I will try to help.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
It really depends how competitive you want to be. There are very few elite triathletes that are doing a considerable amount of GPP work, training for the swim/bike/run is demanding enough as it is. Not to say all they do is swim/bike/run, but it is emphasized much more greatly than GPP work. A triathlon is a specialization sport that requires a specific type of fitness.

Looking for an output to measure your overall fitness is great, but you might want to consider trying out some other sports as well(in addition to triathlons). The most important thing about all of it is enjoying what you are doing.

What kinds of times do you post for various events?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
Nathan Chaszeyka

Profile:
For anything beyond Oly distance triathlons, it's highly unlikely that Mary Ann's style of mostly just crossfit would be successful.

Even in just competing in sprints and olympic tri's a crossfit only/primary type of training will only work for some very gifted/fit individuals IN MY OPINION.

Eugene Allen is the resident "guru" on the crossfit boards about endurance sports training with crossfit mixed in.

My first triathlon will be Aug. 11. For what it's worth, I have continued doing crossfit at my normal rate of 3-5 days a week, and have incorporated cycling into my workouts by riding to crossfit on my singlespeed. It's 10 miles each way so that takes care of my riding for the week.

Swimming I have worked into my schedule by doing morning swim workouts (crossfit is in the evening for me).

Running I have mixed in on my off days for swimming, or by stacking running and swimming together in the morning one day a week which is my hardest training day for the week.

I hope that helps to give you an idea of how someone else is doing it. For the record, I'm not really training to try and win races though, it's more for fun so my training may not be any good to you at all.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Welcome Christine and Mary Ann~
Last year I competed in my first tri, a sprint, at 40yo. Loved it, did 2 more and placed in the third in my category. I did pure tri training. I began CF almost 3 months ago. In addition to CF I swim 1~2x/wk, spin 1x a week and run 1x a week, most of those workouts are high intensity, speed or hill drills. I am going to a tri meeting for forming a local tri team in Aug. I look forward to our first event and how I perform with CF as the majority of my training.
Congrats on your tri results Christine and enjoy your CF WOD's ladies:-)
Old 07-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
John McBrien

Profile:
Christine,

Here are a few threads related to triathlon training and marathon training. Eugene Allen provided input along with a lot of other very knowledgeable and experienced triathlete/marathoner CFers.

They're from the board so they're w/f safe.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/43584.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/39267.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/40378.html