CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Greg Light

Profile:
Starting Strength Questions

Before anyone says to search, I tried that, but starting strength gets mentioned far to much for the search function to help me.

I am planning on embarking on a starting strength program within the next few weeks. I am going to start a log for it, but I had a few questions first.

My stats are as follows:

Male
27 years old
5'10"
192 pounds
Squat 5RM - 240
DL 5RM - 305
Press 5RM - 115
Bench 5RM - 225
PC 3RM - 165
Sleep - 8.5 - 10 hours per night (albeit somewhat interrupted from my 1 year old crying sometimes)

I have tested all of these within the past week.

I am planning on doing the 3 day a week program with Squat every time and alternating DL / Press and Bench / PC.

I will not be doing the full gallon of milk as weight gain is not a priority. I will be focusing on eating clean and drinking about 2 gallons of whole milk per week.

Main questions are:
What should I start at for the first week for each lift and how much should I try to add each workout?

Can I do any running on the non-lifting days?

I will be doing this during the holidays, which I figure is a good time to do it since I will probably be eating more than normal. But, how bad will alcohol hurt my results?

It seems like everyone does starting strength for 6 weeks, but in the book Rip mentions not hitting previous 5RM max until week 4 at the earliest, and not til week 6 if you can stand taking it slow. So, how long is a reasonable amount of time to do this program for?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Questions

I thought SS states how much you are supposed to add? I think it was 5-10 lbs on the BS and DL, and like 2.5-5 on the press.

You can do whatever you want, but running will negatively affect your gains; depends on your goals.

Alcohol will hurt your results. How much, don't know. Again, is your goal SS, or SS plus enjoying your life. Up to you.

Do SS until your increases stop, then re-set, do it again until this doesn't work anymore. Everyone seems to be different.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I thought SS states how much you are supposed to add? I think it was 5-10 lbs on the BS and DL, and like 2.5-5 on the press.

You can do whatever you want, but running will negatively affect your gains; depends on your goals.

Alcohol will hurt your results. How much, don't know. Again, is your goal SS, or SS plus enjoying your life. Up to you.

Do SS until your increases stop, then re-set, do it again until this doesn't work anymore. Everyone seems to be different.
Good way to put it.... SS vs. SS plus enjoying your life.

Running definitely helps me enjoy my life, so maybe I will keep it to as much of a minimum as possible and try to eat and sleep a bit more than I was planning on.

The alcohol will be tough to cut out, especially during the holidays, but cutting down will definitely be a priority.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

* What should I start at for the first week for each lift and how much should I try to add each workout?

I'd do about 10-20%, depending on what you've been doing and how you feel. If you're beat up, drop 20% and go slowly. If you feel fresh, you might get away with 10%.

* I will be doing this during the holidays, which I figure is a good time to do it since I will probably be eating more than normal. But, how bad will alcohol hurt my results?

It's not good, but everyone knows that. I've made all my strength gains while being what most would call an alcoholic. Imagine how strong I'd be if I wasn't a drunk! Oh well. I have some good stories.

The type of booze might have an impact as well. I believe there are studies that some types of beer can increase estrogen more than other types of booze. I don't care enough to research it all that much. Still, minimizing your drinking will obviously be ideal.

* It seems like everyone does starting strength for 6 weeks, but in the book Rip mentions not hitting previous 5RM max until week 4 at the earliest, and not til week 6 if you can stand taking it slow. So, how long is a reasonable amount of time to do this program for?

Not sure where you get the 6 weeks from. Everyone I know makes gains longer than that. Do the program until you're as strong as you want to be, or it stops working (after a couple stalls) and you *have* to change it up.

* Can I do any running on the non-lifting days?

(LSD) Running will probably negatively impact your strength increases, especially without a large caloric surplus. Sprints might actually help, if planned well. Keep it to one day and it probably won't be too big of a deal.

Also, your press is way low for your bench. Rip advises that your press should be about 2/3 of your bench. Yours is closer to half. There are various ways to approach this, but I'd focus MUCH less on bench and MUCH more on press - to the point where personally, I'd keep the bench weight very low until the press catches up. But you might want to ask Rip himself on the ************ forums for a more informed insight.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Go here: wfs
http://****************.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#THE_PROGRAM
Read everything. Come back if it wasn't answered.

Also, there's a handy spreadsheet(wfs),
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...ppDIu_JA&hl=en
You plug in numbers for 1rm or 5rm and it tells you what to do for every set. Its very simple.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
What should I start at for the first week for each lift and how much should I try to add each workout?

http://****************.wikia.com/wi..._first_week.3F

Can I do any running on the non-lifting days?

http://****************.wikia.com/wi...he_off_days.3F

I will be doing this during the holidays, which I figure is a good time to do it since I will probably be eating more than normal. But, how bad will alcohol hurt my results?

Depends.

It seems like everyone does starting strength for 6 weeks, but in the book Rip mentions not hitting previous 5RM max until week 4 at the earliest, and not til week 6 if you can stand taking it slow. So, how long is a reasonable amount of time to do this program for?

http://****************.wikia.com/wi...his_program.3F
See links in quotes above.