CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Justin Knighten

Profile:
10K training progression

I've got a friend wanting to run a 10K in 2.5 weeks. she says she can run a 5K today, but its not fast, or pretty. what would the best way to work up to 10K that quickly? 1 mile intervals, short sprints, just run 5K's up until that day or what? im probably going to try and talk her out of it, but if she's determined i'll try to give her some decent advice.

thanks for any help

justin
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: 10K training progression

She shouldn't run for a great time, only to finish. There's not enough training time to increase both her distance and her pace.

I'd just run a lot. Run every other day. Start with 3 miles and add another 1/2 mile every other day at that same easy pace until 3-4 days before the race.

Susie
Old 04-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

There seems to be some sort of implied limitation in question. If she can run a 5k today, she can run a 10k tomorrow. What is her goal, just to finish?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Tami Collins

Profile:

Back when I did a lot of running I found that 5 min. intervals worked the best to get faster and increase endurance quickly. I had to run on a treadmill and it bored me to tears, so I would break up my 20 to 45 minute run into five minute chunks. The first minute I would run at my normal training pace, minute two slightly faster, minute three slightly faster than that, etc. for five minutes. At the start of the fifth minute I went back down to training pace and started over. Repeat for 30 minutes, or however long your run is. I usually did that a couple of times a week.

I also used to go hiking on my non-running days. There was one particular section of trail that just begged for sprints; shady, soft, springy turf. I would start sprinting whenever the urge hit me and stop whenever I felt I needed to. Rest and repeat. Usually around 5-6 sprints all out effort.

I'm not a running expert, but those two methods increased my speed and endurance much more than just running at an even pace over a greater distance every day.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Justin Knighten

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Bauersfeld View Post
There seems to be some sort of implied limitation in question. If she can run a 5k today, she can run a 10k tomorrow. What is her goal, just to finish?
i can run 5K today, and maybe (probably) its a mental thing, but i don't think i can run 10K, so thats why i imply some limitation. not totally sure what the goal is, most likely to finish, as she knows a good time isn't possible with such little training.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Daniel Gilliam

Profile:

Yeah, just do it. I ran the 10k WOD last night in 50:00...five minutes better than my first 10k six weeks ago with little serious "training" in between. Very little distance running, mainly the sprint work from the WOD as they came along.

She'll be tired, but will survive.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Without some sort of physical limitation (injury, poor fitness, bad knees, etc.) there is no reason that someone perfectly capable of 5k can't gut out a 10k.

If the limitation is something like "I've never run that far and I'm not sure I can" then I would want her to work up to running her first 10k about a week from now, just for the mental edge of having been there done that. After that, ramp down the distances for the last week and a half so she is well rested.

As noted above she doesn't have enough time to worry about training modalities for improving speed and endurance.