CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
Hi All- My wife & I are about to adopt our first pit bull (1-2 year old, female) from BADRAP. We are experienced dog people (dobies, rott's, ridgebacks), but this will be our first bully. I know that several CrossFitters have pit bulls, any tips or suggestions for a first timer with the breed?

thanks,

Matt
Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
First off, great choice on a breed, and on going with BadRap. They're good folks, and do excellent screening on their dogs. Our dog, Jai (the red APBT that appears in my wife Beth's avatar here) is a BadRap dog. Also, the BadRap suggestions and guidelines are, IMHO, pretty accurate and complete.
You've already had experience with some highly Alpha dogs, so you're ready for that aspect of PB character and behavior. They're not so emotionally needy as Dobies, but are every bit as cuddly, if not more so. They are major Velcro Dogs.
That said, if I had to narrow it down to 2, the main issues with PB's are:
1. Dog aggression (and potential dog aggression);
2. People's reactions to them

PB's were bred to dogfight. It's not hormonal, it's genetic, in the same way that labs loving to fetch is genetic. Not all PB's are dog aggressive, but they all have that potential. It is therefore essential that you keep them from interactions where they can get into fights. In other words, they are not "off leash at the beach" dogs. This is (or should be) true for PB's who do not show signs of dog aggression - it can show up later in life, depending on the stimulus. BadRap has a LOT of suggestions and information on this.
Also, a lot of people will be freaked out by your dog. This can, however, be a great opportunity to educate people on what the breed is really like - smart, intelligent, loving, etc. However, not all people are educatable, so be prepared for some fear-driven behavior from people.
Mostly, congratulations on getting a great dog from some great people. The PB rescue problem is huge, and I'm always happy when people make the well-thought-out decision to adopt.
Feel free to contact Beth or me privately for more information if you'd like.
JK
Old 09-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
just some thoughts on the "not all people are educatable" so true...one of the services we provide is the removal of snakes from people's yards. once in a while we are able to persuade people to leave the non-venemous representatives alone and in their yards. we run into some people(most)who just won't hear it. a totally irrational unwillingness to learn and it results in some stupid behaviors. kind of like racism...don't own a pit but have always admired their spunk and looks. be prepared,most folks would rather stay ignorant.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I have owned pit bulls for a while and have formed some relationships with some of the biggest names in the pit bull world. Jonathan's advice is right on.

I asked a very, very famous pit bull man about having pit bulls together (even opposite sex) unsupervised. His quote was, "it can work for a while son, but eventually they'll break your heart." Regretfully, I found this out the hard way. Never, never leave a pit bull unsupervised with another dog (pit or otherwise).

Also, get yourself a break-stick and keep it handy. Carry it with you when you take the dog out. Even if your dog is on a leash, others' dogs aren't always so.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Well, my avatar now has my pit bull being "killed" by "his" kitten! We got him through badrap (the pit, not the kitten)

First, remember these are love dogs. They will love you forever and ever and be very upset to not be part of the family, be left when you go away, left outside, etc. They LOVE kids, too! Jai, and our previous pit, Joshu, loved babies of all species. Bring a baby into our house and Jai will curl up next to the baby hoping there will be a chance to kiss the baby or, if luck is there, the baby will crawl on him!

What Jonathan says about other people is true. Just today I had a friend hear us call him a pitbull and said, "you mean that lovely dog I have been snuggling with for months is a pitbull?" She didn't freak out though! Others will. Because of this, Pits need to be better behaved than the average dog cause minor infractions will get them into more trouble than it would other breeds.

We had to go to dog court to get Joshu from being put down by a woman who stated in front of many people that she was scared of our dog so she ran her horse straight at him. Joshu bit the horse that was charging him and us. He almost died for protecting us simply cause he was a pit bull. I was visiting him at the shelter (he was there for six weeks and we were all devastated) and heard lots of folks saying horrible things about pits - all rumors and not true - like they have locking jaws and all that (not true but they do have huge muscles in their jaw - imagine Greg Amundsun with all his muscles in his jaw and trying to get him off you if he doesn't want to!).

You are in for a treat. Pits are lovely, loving, dogs. They are gentle and kind with humans they know and most other humans. They are also good judges of charector so if they don't like one of your associates, consider why!

Good luck and write us if you want. Also, Lauren loves to talk about pits when she has time and has two. She has them on a great diet so you might want to contact her. But she is busy so don't expect immediate response. If it takes a week, write again!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Eric Moffit

Profile:
check out The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic channel...it is amazing. Cesar Millan is the man.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../dogwhisperer/
Old 09-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
Hi Everyone- Thanks a lot for your thoughtful & helpful posts. Have already gotten plenty of the "You're getting a WHAT??!!" type of reactions. That's ok, it just makes it that much more important to be good breed ambassadors. Thanks again, Matt
Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Matt, is your dog-to-be shown on the BadRap site?
I'd love to see a picture of the lucky girl.
JK
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Coach's two bullies were my first exposure, and they were great. It was very intertaining and informative to watch Athena "law down the law" for Fudgie when I was in Santa Cruz in Feb.

Did a google and ran across this article, which explains why there are so many laws against bullies. This guy should be feed to his own dogs!

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0534,shaftel,67093,5.html
Old 09-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #10
John Walsh

Profile:
Good training goes along way but the breed can be ferocious and their bites do more damage than any other dog I know of. Us urban dwellers have to deal with the *******es that get pits so they can look like rappers and then decide they are too much work so they let them loose often after abusing the dog and encouraging it to be violent. Something bad inevitably happens and hence people get apprehensive. This is not some irrationality. It’s a normal survival mechanism. If I see a pit, rot, or any other big dog roaming down my street unsupervised I grab my Glock. When I was a kid I saw a pit lock onto my buddies arm for no reason. His father, a heavy weight fighter, could not loosen the bite with full force punches. It wasn’t until he spilt the dog’s head open with a crowbar that the bite loosened. Sorry for the gruesome image but there is good reason to fear their bites.

God bless you if you want a pet pit, especially around kids. I categorize you under the “I don’t get it” column along with snake owners, rat owners, people that don’t drink coffee and hippies.