CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Apparently, there is hope of my shoulders being 100%. I had thought my shoulders were forever limited due to rotator cuff tears from falls on rings and a shoulder separation.

However, apparently, the rotator cuff tears rolled my shoulders in to protect them which is why it seems strange that in a range of motion with very little force on them, say a gymnastics bridge, they show most of their normal ROM but under force they do not allow to open up ( any skill having to do with a violent, powerful action of opening the shoulder angle ).

I did whatever rehab exercises but they never seemed to do much. I still thought the loss in ROM was due to the damage but rather it's just the muscles being tight. Supposedly, the right shoulder which was seperated/dislocated can move into a better position through deep tissue massage and joint manipulation.

Imagine, I could be swinging rings again in 6 months or not grimace at some gymnastics move or overhead lifting.

Woo. Where before I thought well of chiro, now I'm very excited. I still don't care much for massage, but apparently they can't work on the shoulder much until those muscles are loosened up since they tightened up to protect the shoulders upon injury.

He was also able to show me what was going on with my hip. I had been concerned one hip was higher than the other, but instead one was rotated back/deeper which in turn affected hamstring/quad flexibility. I always just figured there was a natural distance between my legs. Just like one foot is slightly longer than the other.

And apparently the right shoulder, being out of alignment creates a lot of tension on the right side of my spine to head alignment issues down to the hip.

My dad always had good results with chiropractics but I've always been stubborn with people working on me, prodding me. Some of the adjustments reminded of getting kicked or hit during training. I told the chiro, they seemed violent and all of a sudden and he seemed to worry that I wouldn't be in to them.

Wee, good shoulders once again in a few months.