CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Evan Fitts

Profile:
Hello all,

I am in the process of building a home gym. The crossfit journal on doing this suggests the Vulcan Rack and Pillars of Power spotting/safety device sold by ironmind.com as suitable equipment. Purchasing these two items would cost me roughly $1000. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for good, reliable equipment that might save me some money?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
On the cheapest end, sawhorses.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Tom Fetter

Profile:
I'm too cheap to buy a power rack - so I'm building one. The posts are two 2X4s, with slices of a third laminated and spiked between them leaving space for spotter pipes to slide through in 3" increments.

I got the thick wall 1 1/8" square pipe from a metal fabrication place for $10, and the used lumber was in the garage.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
Chris Cline

Profile:
What I did was buy the squat rack from BW Products that's similar to the Vulcan Rack and the pillars of power. Check out the Specials section on the Ironmind website and get the older model pillars. They are cheaper and a better design in my opinion. It'll still cost you some money, but not as much if you bought the newer model Ironmind stuff.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Promaxima sells some quality stands for $135. Combine them with some solid sawhorses and you're golden.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
I was in the same situation. I also needed a pullup bar. So I got a power rack from Jesup Gym Equipment:
http://www.jesupgym.com/products.htm?cid=13

Specifically this one:

Body Solid Powerline Power Rack PPR200
$275 Delivered.

I got it very quickly and it goes together well. I'm not sure how much it holds, but I'm not a powerlifter. Highly recommended.

howard
Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Evan Fitts

Profile:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I went against my bank account's best interests and ordered the Vulcan II with Dip Bar and the old Pillars of Power off the specials page on ironmind. It set me back a pretty penny, but I think it will be a good decision in the long run.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
vulcan II squat stands are great. I have not needed the pillars of power so I did not buy that option. The squat stands alone are good enough for me. I usually work out alone too. As far as needing a spot, if it don't go up drop it and readjust your weight. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
Baron Dorff

Profile:
I bought this one for under $400:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/spr.html
W/F Safe

Think I paid about $365 on a sale about a year ago - very happy with it for a very reasonable price compared to some others. Several vendors sell it.

I put a lifting platform in and around it and life is great.

Has pullup bar and a dip station built in. The pullup bar is a bit low, but works. Dip station is great, but I use my rings mostly. The rack has enough pins and safety bars to function as a bench press, and as a pure squat rack. You can put the pins on the outside of the cage for front squats, jerks, push presses if you want to work free of the cage. Nice flexible, well built system.

(Message edited by Baron on April 19, 2007)

(Message edited by Baron on April 19, 2007)