CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #21
Danim Suer

Profile:
Re: GSP or Kos? UFC 124!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Comparing Jake Shields and GSP, you must be a troll.
+1. Shields is a great pure grappler, but he doesn't quite get the whole MMA thing. Just because GSP isn't knocking people out with GNP, doesn't mean he's just laying on them.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #22
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danim Suer View Post
Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle
Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira
Joe Stevenson vs. Mac Danzig
Thiago Alves vs. John Howard
Mark Bocek vs. Dustin Hazelett
Jesse Bongfeldt vs. Rafael Natal
Matthew Riddle vs. Sean Pierson
Joe Doerkson vs. Dan Miller
TJ Grant vs. Ricardo Almeida
Pat Audinwood vs. John Makdessi
By the way - can someone explain to me HOW Mac Danzig still even in the UFC? I like Stevenson to dominate this one.

the rest-
GSP
Struve
Jim Miller
Alves
Hazelett
Natal
Riddle
Doerkson
Almeida
John Makdessi
Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #23
Danim Suer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
By the way - can someone explain to me HOW Mac Danzig still even in the UFC? I like Stevenson to dominate this one.
Being a former TUF winner does have its benefits.

I'm excited for all the action this weekend!!! For you Japanese MMA fans, there's also DEEP 51 AND the K1 WGP after UFC 124.

Last edited by Danim Suer : 12-09-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
so all the TUF hype up on Kos isn't changing minds...smart bunch
Yeah, there is a lot of hype coming into this fight, but it's a two way street. GSP is getting a lot of hype about finishing an opponent that can potentially give him problems. People expect GSP to run over Kos, but I don't see it that way. Like him or not (I could care less), Kos is a tough & talented guy that has the skill-mind set to potentially upset Georges. I am not saying that's what's gonna happen, but I think Georges has a much tougher fight ahead than people are giving Kos credit for, perhaps because of their dislike of him and love for GSP.

Truth is, styles makes fights, and Georges, like everyone else, is beatable. I think these guys are gonna cancel each other out all night to a decision, and Georges will keep his belt.

Struve by massacre (beating + submission)
Alves by destruction (2rd TKO)
Jim Miller by decision
Stevenson by decision
Dan Miller
Almeida
Natal

Enjoy the fights!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post

the rest-
GSP
Struve
Jim Miller
Alves
Hazelett
Natal
Riddle
Doerkson
Almeida
John Makdessi
Great picks!

...except for Doerksen
Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #26
Danim Suer

Profile:

Do any of you guys find GSP's fights boring? I know people throw it around a lot, and I don't. He's a great fighter to watch and learn from. His technique is sound. I can see if you just watch MMA to see KOs and subs, watching GSP would suck for you...but I guess we're watching it for different reasons.

Also, Bocek put on a grappling clinic on Hazelett. His pride must have hurt after being taken to school like that.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #27
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Do any of you guys find GSP's fights boring? I know people throw it around a lot, and I don't. He's a great fighter to watch and learn from. His technique is sound. I can see if you just watch MMA to see KOs and subs, watching GSP would suck for you...but I guess we're watching it for different reasons.

Also, Bocek put on a grappling clinic on Hazelett. His pride must have hurt after being taken to school like that.
I think this comes primarily from people not understanding fight strategy and just looking for what they see as an exciting fight. People tend to appreciate certain styles as a fight fan. Most MMA fans have limited if any experience being punched in the face, submitted etc... a punch in the face and a quick K.O is easy for them to understand. It is the same fan's that see physical damage done to an opponent as a sigh of victory....even when they lose.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:

As a guy who is beyond the WWE fans that were once poised to ruin the whole sport (remember when the refs would stand anyone up after 30 seconds?), and who really appreciates intricate ground work and BJJ and whatnot... I actually have found many of his fights boring. I don't mind a fight going the distance, I don't mind a fight without a lot of "action," but I don't like when a fighter doesn't seem to be trying to finish. Many of my favorite fighters have done this- Anderson is the biggest example.

It seems like some of GSP's fights in the past were content to not risk losing the the point that he'd just take them down, "ground and pound" (barely) in someone's guard, and win on the judge's score card. I thought the same thing about Edgar's win over Penn. Sure, he won, but it wasn't the kind of win that makes for a truly great fighter- he pecked at him for five rounds like a chicken. Again, not that it's not okay to not finish your opponent, but I don't like the apparent strategies of win more points every round.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #29
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

The fighter who takes the least damage will have the longest career. If you guys want to watch people just wail on each other, thereís a ton of idiots on YouTube throwing bolos in back yard MMA fights. How someone can watch a GSP fight and not be amazed that a guy with no wrestling credentials can literally clown elite college wrestlers is beyond me. I have said this a few times, but when you fight people the caliber of KOS and Fitch, you donít take unnecessary risks and you donít finish them easily. That being said whatís worse, getting KO'd in a round, or getting your orbital broken and then tagged for 20 more minutes?