CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Bruce Duco

Profile:
Guitar Hero World Tour vs Rock Band for Wii

Which one should I get? I like Rock Band because it has "Tom Sawyer" and I like to pretend that I'm Neil Peart. But, Guitar Hero has cymbals on the drums... decisions decisions....
Old 12-26-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
Tish Traster

Profile:
Re: Guitar Hero World Tour vs Rock Band for Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
Which one should I get? I like Rock Band because it has "Tom Sawyer" and I like to pretend that I'm Neil Peart. But, Guitar Hero has cymbals on the drums... decisions decisions....
Rush-Hands Down...Rock Band.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I just started playing guitar hero and in our office it will forever be referred to as heroine hero and rock band is crack rock band. Those things are damned addictive and I swear there is crack laced in the guitar. I've only played guitar hero III so I am of little help.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Dylan Miley

Profile:

I went through a faze where I played Guitar Hero every weekend for probably hours upon hours. Haven't gotten into it since GH3, but I would stick with Guitar Hero because it's cheaper than Rock Band, it's the same thing with different songs.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Jason Neal

Profile:

Bruce,

Don't know if the Beatle's are a deal-breaker, but... http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=96311174 (wfs)
Old 12-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Henry Miller

Profile:

Rock Band 2 has cymbals - but they are an extra cost option.

Rock Band is made by real musicians, (they also mad GH 1 and 2). Guitar Hero III and latter is by Activision - a game company. I play a little mandolin, and I can tell the different in the play. Rock Band is still plastic toys, but it feels more like a real instrument. GHIII feels like a game. I can close my eyes faster and still play RB, because the fingerings make sense musically, while GH doesn't. GH has been known to throw in notes that don't exist if they think you are going to long without playing or things are too easy for your level. GH is more into the video game battles, while RB is more into the music, even now that they have battels it is just who is better at the music, not who can shoot the other down.

I have 300 downloaded songs for RB (the WII will soon get that many). Historically GH has not had nearly as much downloadable songs (but they had more free ones). Of course this means I have more than a grand into the game... (counting the xbox360 that I wouldn't have bought otherwise)

Both are very fun. However I (obviously) give the nod to Rock Band if you can only have one. If you can afford it, get both. RB will use GHWT instruments, so you just need the game. (Not the other way around though - Activision likes to be a jerk that way - another reason to prefer RB)
Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Omar Omar

Profile:

i am not into these types of games but i hear all the guys at my school talk about how rock band for the WII doesnot allow users to download songs other than the ones that come with the CD.

u should check on gamespot.com and read reviews about which one is better and choose carefully. after all u dnt want to choose one and get so good at it then have to change to the other one.

when it comes to me i own a 360 and play gears of war, that is what i call real gaming haha
Old 12-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
James Falkner

Profile:

+1 for Rock Band (2). Especially if you are a Rush fan (which I am). You can get the entire Moving Pictures album, plus Working Man on RB1, and on RB2 you can also get The Trees.

I started with GHIII on a friend's Xbox 360, then got my own Wii, and absolutely hated its bad graphics and sound. So I got a 360, and played GHIII for a long time (all but 1 song on expert). I hated Rock Band because it was "different" and I sucked at the drums. But it grew on me, and now I agree with previous posters, GH is a "game", Rock Band is an "experience" Haven't gotten the cymbals yet, about to go to best buy to see if I can get some right now.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I would get Rock Band because I'm not much of a gamer and Rock Band gets more people involved. If I had Guitar Hero it wouldn't see too much play, sad to say.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Michael Ricketts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
...and I like to pretend that I'm Neil Peart...
Who doesn't honestly?

I am big fan of Rock Band just for the fact that it is a blast to get a large group of people involved.