CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Jose Soriano

Profile:
Weighted vest/shirt?

Hey folks, I'm really interested in the Titin weighted compression shirt for daily use type stuff, on top of using it during some workouts (like sprint intervals or rows, and dips) but I'm wondering if 8lbs is worth the trouble? I like that it has a slimmer profile than most weighted vests, but at 8lbs it seems almost pointless - my messenger bag weighs more than that...

I'm wondering what people think about weighted vests in general, and if anyone has seen/used/heard reviews about the Titin vest?

http://www.amazon.com/Titin-Weighted...dp/B00OJ4AWT2? (WFS)

There's some Amazon reviews on there, but for all I know these people have never lifted a weight in their lives.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: Weighted vest/shirt?

i love a weighted vest for training since it is so versatile. as for the Titan shirt, like you said, its only 8lbs which to me makes it kinda pointless especially for the price. i can take some weights out of my vest and put it my pockets and bam, 8lbs
Old 08-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Well a few points of thought

If you only use for pull-ups and push-ups the 8lbs won't seem like a lot until you start getting into some higher rep workouts. Then that little amount over time can do some wonders for increasing your strength and max numbers before failures if done for a good period of time.

A 25lb / 50lb / 75lb / etc vest can do the same thing and weight can be taken out and added. The difference here is it can fill a lot more roles.

Price wise I would buy a weight vest. However if looking slick and streamline vs long term functional is more important than versatility and price go off of that.

My MIR vest is over 3 years I believe and still works great when I use it.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Jose Soriano

Profile:

Yeah, I think I'm going to skip the titin shirt, at least until I'm rich beyond comprehension and wouldn't notice $260 missing lol.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Peter Keller

Profile:

I haven't used the Titin shirt, but I have used the Hypervest Pro WFS, which has a similar idea behind it.

The idea is that a heavy weighted vest changes your movement patterns due to the weight, e.g., if you are training for sprinting a faster 400m, a heavy vest might change your biomechanics such that the training would actually be detrimental to your goal. A lighter vest increases the difficulty of the workout without changing movement patterns.

This is similar to that argument that Jim Cawley of Dynamax made to discourage CrossFitters from buying 20# med balls- that didn't go well.

That said, I have a Hypervest, plus a bunch of other weighted vests (perks of owning an equipment company), and I personally find myself using the heavier vests much more often than the 10# Hypervest. And heavier/adjustable vests are usually cheaper to boot.