CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
John Lohry

Profile:
Re: CrossFit affiliate inside a large health club

Wow! This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I recently retired from the Navy and move back to my hometown with plans of opening a box. The real estate agent I've been working with in looking for a place put me in contact with a guy who has a property in mind and would like to share the space 50/50 for a traditional gym and CrossFit box combo. Appreciate all the contact info...I've already started reaching out to the names provided. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
So, what I'm getting at, is that you may need to get with those people who tour the facility with new members. Continuously work with them. Give them a key and allow them to get into your locked room-o-fitness. Then, teach them how to give a 5 minute tour (when you aren't present) of your facility to show value. Give them exactly 3 sentences that portrays who you are, what you do, and what value there is (don't use that typical crossfit stuff that makes no sense - constantly varied high intensity blah blah blah - think 30 seconds in an elevator to real people; make it more personal and valuable).
Then, make sure you have a slick pamphlet to put into new member packets. Maybe, all new members get a 5 class punch card - or free onramp - that can be used in their first month of joining said health club.
Get some CF member spotlights into the health clubs newsletter or on a public message board in the hallways.
Invite existing club members to your classes to try it out - perhaps give them the same punch card. Maybe run some promotions for you existing CF members - where if they bring in 3 friends, then they get a t-shirt. If they sign up, then they get a discount applied to their own memberships.
Thanks Clint! I took notes
Old 12-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
1) I expect price is not the issue. If people enjoy CrossFit and get better results that is what will get them to sign up.

2) Your best bet for converting members of the gym to CrossFit will be the folks who show up regularly, put in the time but are not getting great results. I'm currently working out at a Gold's close to my house while my girl friend recovers from ACL replacement. I see a lot of women and some guys who are there on a regular basis following ineffective training programs (if you could even call it that). These folks are motivated, show up and want results. They are great candidates for CrossFit. I should know I use to be one of them.

3) Most big gyms follow a 2 step sales program. First sell membership, second attempt to sell personal training. Getting the Crossfit option inserted into this sales process would help a lot. This would give members 3 option with increasing prices. 1) Do it yourself, 2) Group CrossFit Class, 3) 1 on 1 personal training. When people are first joining a new gym is when they are most open to trying a new program.

4) Do all the regular marketing any affiliate does. You may operate inside another gym but you don't want to behave any differently then any other affiliate. The community is part of the magic so you need to create yours independent of the big gym. Website, Facebook, social events, interacting with other CF gyms, the whole deal.
Good ideas, Brendan. Thank you
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #14
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Slightly related... I just saw that CrossFit Rails in Aberdeen SD is opening. It seems to be affiliated with the local YMCA.

If so, this is a non-profit CrossFit Box. (Perhaps this is not uncommon. New to me.)

https://www.facebook.com/aberdeenymca (WFS)
Old 01-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
Kyle Hyde

Profile:

Hi Nic,

One more thing on top of the ideas I sent you earlier.... we're a new affiliate and have not programmed them in yet however we have 2 pools and will be incorporating Pool WOD's soon enough. Best of Luck.

Kyle
Old 01-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Yeah, that's awesome Kyle. We also have a pool and would like to get our clients in there soon. I'll have to come down to your gym sometime and check it out.