CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:15 AM   #11
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:
Re: market saturated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
I tend to think you are saying this in jest, but just in case you are not: The risk is that you might be waiting for a long time. If you really want to open a box, and are dedicated to doing so, I would not let fears of "market saturation" scare you away in any way at all. There will almost always be room for another small, quality box just about anywhere.
it was said in Jest, and I agree with the post below this one. it just doesn't take that many members; < 100 (depending on location) to make a box successful. I still have another 6 years until I retire from the Army, so we will see where CF is at that time. right now, I am enjoying coaching at my on-base affiliate in Japan. thanks for everyone's thoughts!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #12
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Reviving this thread - its a good one and probably "evergreen"

Three thoughts:

1) There is always room at the top of any mountain for someone who is better and stronger. The right guy can open a Box next door to the most successful Box and make it. (How many restaurants are in your town? Do lots of restaurants mean a new and better restaurant cant make it?)

2) CrossFit is not a zero-sum game. Millions of people have never heard of CrossFit and have no idea if they would enjoy it. My joining Gulfport CrossFit did not take a customer away from another Box. Coach Pat created a CrossFitter in me.

3) Competition makes us all better. The girl next to me Friday while I was doing Karen performed better because I was there pushing her - she wanted to beat me. (She did. Wait until next time though.) Readers of a certain age will remember phone service when there was only one phone company. We have the amazing phones we have now because of the competition and rewards that come from an open market. CrossFit gets better with competition too.

Chime in.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:

Have you guys seen this? Mr Gilson is The Man (tm)

http://www.jongilson.com/articles/20...filiate-growth
Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Reading the article mentioned in the prior post made me think...

Look at the restaurants in your area. On a macro basis, there are probably more than enough restaurants, and more than enough tables/chairs in those restaurants.

Are they the best restaurants that COULD be in your area?

Could someone open a new restaurant that pulled diners from the other restaurants? Could a new restaurant open that would cause people who would normally eat at home go out to eat?

Isnt the same thing true of CrossFit in a town or community?

They key, I think is differentiation:

How is your CrossFit training better than the other Boxes?

How do you communicate that difference?

Is that difference valuable?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
Sean Smith

Profile:

The issue is not market saturation. All of you are missing the point - it's about differentiation. What can you offer that's different? If you open a CF affiliate and just do regular CrossFit classes in a town of 200,000 with 6 other affiliates, you're most likely going to suffer a slow death. If you do the exact same thing as the other 6, why would someone go to yours? One reason - you're cheaper. You don't want that.

Offer something different. Create a niche market. Soccer moms aren't a niche. A friend of mine suggested an idea to me (that was absolutely weird and absurd), and looking back, it would be wildly successful. It's a massive niche, but would only work in very large cities. Think about things that no other gyms have...everyone gym has a weightlifting program, a kids program, 5:30am classes, free Saturday classes, most have open gym...what's next?

CrossFit Grandview has a separate facility with 24 hour access. THAT'S AWESOME! Does it fill a void? YES! Can any other gym in their area compete with that for like $25 extra a month? Probably not. How cool would it be if you worked the graveyard shift and you didn't want to wait 4 hours until the next CF class started and you just went and did a WOD at 3am by yourself? Would that customer ever leave your gym for another? No.

Fill a void, be different.