CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Jan Dahlberg

Profile:
Re: Very Attractive Home Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simmonds View Post
Joey, I'll leave design to others more in-the-know and take on a part of what a website should do for you... Help people discover you.

Google "Albany OR Crossfit" (without the quotes)- you are not on the first 2 pages -

For "Crossfit Albany OR" - you are 2nd in the map section and first in the body - well done.

"Gyms in Albany OR" - you are down the page.

You get the idea - find phrases people will use to find you and see how you rank.

Your website is a pointer to your business. People have to find you. Content - solid, relevant, content, is what gives you the Google Juice. There are lots of articles out there on how to improve your search ranking - in short you have to have content that helps Google find you and think highly of you.

Write pages that use the phrases that people will use to find you on Google - known as key words.

Track your performance by Googling your keywords once a month or so. Get your web-guy to help you with website optimization.
This is all solid advice, I'm pretty fresh as an affiliate and haven't done any marketing for the first 4 months being in business. I asked every new member how they found me and most of em just googled CrossFit and the town we are in.

I'm now glad to say I rank by far highest on google
Old 12-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Joey Dussel

Profile:

Wow awesome thanks! I'm grateful for you pointing out those changes and I feel like a doofus for not getting it right the first time!

-Joey
Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Dussel View Post
I feel like a doofus for not getting it right the first time!

-Joey
No! Not a doofus. The object is improvement. Not perfection.

Are you better today than yesterday? Is your business better today? Is your website better? Is your marketing better? Are you providing more value?

Constant improvement - just like what you coach for your athletes.

Two alike, both same.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Joey,
The first time I looked at your website it took a long time to load - maybe 20 to 25 seconds. You may have an issue with the size of the images. Have they been reduced or optimized for online use? ( I am aware of this issue because I need to make the same change to my own website. )
Old 12-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #15
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Steve Krug wrote "Dont Make Me Think" several years ago - about web-design.

I think his title provides great insight by itself - your website visitors should not have to think about the design of the site - they just go right for the value your site provides (info, inspiration, understanding, eduction...)

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Thin.../dp/0321965515 (WFS) is his latest edition.

I'm not sure as a Box owner you need to read this. Your web-designer should have read it though.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
Joey Dussel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Joey,
The first time I looked at your website it took a long time to load - maybe 20 to 25 seconds. You may have an issue with the size of the images. Have they been reduced or optimized for online use? ( I am aware of this issue because I need to make the same change to my own website. )
Chris, could you try again? Maybe it was a temporary connectivity issue from my end or your end...or maybe you looked when I was doing the bulk of the editing or something like that.

I checked on two different computers and phones and had no issues.

Thanks,
-Joey
Old 12-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #17
Christopher Morris

Profile:

If I check again from the same computer the images are cached and don't re-load from scratch. It will be faster the second time, and won't give an accurate speed that a first time visitor would see.

Try using a speed test website. I also believe that speed reports are part of Google Analytics.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Just tossing this out there, if you guys don't want to deal with the headache of servers and all that other stuff, I've been using http://www.rxgymsoftware.com/ (link WFS) for what feels like forever now. They are pretty awesome at helping get your site up and running and looking pretty. And the use http://www.peek.com (also WFS) to get someone to make a video review of your site (it's FREE!), with those two combined I was able to get a pretty streamlined site that I'm pretty happy with!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #19
Brian Diez

Profile:

Joey, I've been an internet marketer for over 10 years.

Your page is too busy IMO. Your first priority is to collect a new visitor's info so you can send them offers for free workouts or package deals.

I would focus all your attention on the area above the fold. That's the area that you see first when the page loads.

Your header and navigation are OK, though I would add your phone in the top. Make it easy for someone to reach you.

That grey area is your feature area. That's where you need to improve. Add a video and a web form or a picture with a link to sign up for a free workout. You should be capturing 2-3 out of 10 new visitors and adding them to your follow up sequence.

The body of the page isn't bad.

Good luck!