CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Love the rings, hate the buckle...location.

Solution:

I picked up six 5-foot lengths of 1" webbing from REI (I have 3 pairs of rings to fix) and 6 steel rings about 2 inches across. I brought everything to a sewing place called The Tactical Tailor and talked to Tom. Here's the plan:

Carefully cut off existing webbing on the rings then sew buckle to the end of that webbing. Attach new webbing to Power Ring at one and and small steel ring on the other with box stitch or bar tacking then tack webbing together the entire length. There is now some 2 1/2 feet or so of webbing between the Power Ring and the small steel ring and then the strap and buckle will be above that out of the way.

How soon I get everything back depends upon how much work gets thrust at Tom over the next few days. I will report back with photos when the job is complete.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
I've gotten dinged by the buckle a few times, but the Power Rings are still better than my knotted webbing and Nylabone rings (waaay too small!).

Good news though - Tyler's site indicates the new elite rings have a movable buckle!
Old 12-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Yup, I have a set of those coming but they don't ship until sometime in January...and I have these other 3 sets of rings to update. There are lots of those pesky buckles out there on Power Rings all over the globe that could stand a Mod 1 treatment.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Butch White

Profile:

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about the results of your modification, Eugene. BTW, your CF Live segment was outstanding.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Eugene,
I would just let the buckle slide around and forget about having it sewn back on. This will be sort of like what the Elite Rings will have.

Tyler
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Tyler, the sewing part I was talking about for the buckle side of the strap was just to have it be attached to one end, I will be able to slide the buckle up and out of the way after I adjust the height. Still, I am curious about what exactly you mean by letting the buckle slide around. Do you just mean not sewing it onto the Power Ring itself?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #7
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Eugene

I forgot you live near Logan's little shop of fun.

I hate you.

By the way, they're have a terrific sale going on...they're moving locations and apparently don't want to haul all that stuff to the new facility. That and end-of-year inventory issues.

Go get some...or better yet, buy ME some. :-)
Old 12-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Tim - nice new place, it's huge. He has a great big building for the manufacturing and inventory and a separate store. I don't think he'll grow out of this one as he has his last couple places. Business is very good. I was in one of the photos in one of his early catalogs. He was in batallion with a guy from our SWAT Team and I got to know him that way. All of this from sewing stuff for the fellas and making a ghillie suit. The war in the sandbox has been beddy beddy goot to heem.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Eugene, the buckles on mine come riget to mid tricep and it took me a few days to figure out where that nasty bruise was coming from when I started practicing jumping dips! Cool solution.

Course, I might just have to order the new rings.

ps I got a chance to talk to (monopolize) Tyler the other night! He's good people. :-)
Old 12-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
Tyler Hass

Profile:
The buckles shouldn't hit your arm at all. As long as there are no twists in the webbing and you have them set up properly, you would have to try hard to make your arms contact the buckles.
There is a diagram on the side of the buckle that says "Feed Web" and it has an arrow showing the direction the webbing should go. If you follow this, and you always grab the ring with the buckle facing away, then you shouldn't ever come in contact with it.

Tyler