CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Mike Kelley

Profile:
Chondromalacia

Anyone here ever dealt with this issue? I went to PT for the problem and it seemed to go away...now its back. Just trying to figure out the best course of action in regards to CrossFit.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Chondromalacia

Well, it honestly depends on what's going on specfically with you. A lot of the time, it has to do with lateral patellar maltracking (kneecap goes to the outside of your leg). That can be due to ankle instability, weakness, ITB and vastus lateralis tightness, or hip weakness (or a combo of multiple). If you went to PT, what did your therapist do specifically with you? Have you continued to do those exercises/stretches post-therapy? If not, you should definitely reduce the amounts of activities that aggravate your knee and ramp up the therapy exercises in the meantime. Once you've had therapy, most of the time, you need to integrate those exercises into your routine.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I still mobilize/foam roll before working out...I was supposed to do isolation work for hamstrings and glutes because they were weak compared to my quads. The glutes are good now, but I didn't do a whole lot specifically for hamstrings. I also think I've lost quad strength in the knee because I overcompensated with the other leg.

The other thing I've noticed is that my ankle/calf on the same side is not as mobile.

I'm going to keep up the foam rolling and add it in for ankle/calves too...I should probably do some isolation stuff for quads and hammies. I was also thinking of trying the spider tech tape for proper patella tracking and icing. Obviously I'll try to avoid things that bother it...which seems to be squatting.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Christy Warren

Profile:

Hey Mike,
I have this pretty bad. I am 42 and my knees have hurt for the last 12 years. I got diagnosed when I was 35 and was told to quit running. To try and make a long story short, I have broken both my legs (nothing to do with my knees) so I have been to a TON of PT including some of the "best" in the industry. My knees still hurt quite a bit to the point I quit squatting much weight and I had quit running a long time ago. I pretty much gave up on my knees. Then I finally found a trainer who knows his stuff. It really depends on how your knees are tracking and what your issue is to fix. But after working with this guy for one month I am squatting and starting to run. So my point of all this is - if you can find someone who REALLY knows their stuff you might be able to fix you knees. I was just saying today I wish I knew about this guy 10 years ago. I love love love crossfit but I had a lot of 'out of balance' issues to deal with and doing crossfit with them was just making it worse. I am taking a little break from going hard at crossfit (I toss a few metcons in there) but really concentrating on fixing my problems. It will pay off in the end - after a month it already has. I doubt this has really helped you at all - but to say you really have to fix what the problem is - and you might lose a little fitness and strength in the meantime - but you will get it back and then some.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
I still mobilize/foam roll before working out...I was supposed to do isolation work for hamstrings and glutes because they were weak compared to my quads. The glutes are good now, but I didn't do a whole lot specifically for hamstrings. I also think I've lost quad strength in the knee because I overcompensated with the other leg.

The other thing I've noticed is that my ankle/calf on the same side is not as mobile.

I'm going to keep up the foam rolling and add it in for ankle/calves too...I should probably do some isolation stuff for quads and hammies. I was also thinking of trying the spider tech tape for proper patella tracking and icing. Obviously I'll try to avoid things that bother it...which seems to be squatting.
If it's truly chondromalacia patellae, it very rarely has anything to do with sagittal plane musculature (hamstrings, quads). It very frequently has to do with frontal plane and transverse plane musculature at the hip. This may explain one of the major reasons why you're not getting better - because whoever was rehabbing wasn't addressing the right issues.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Mike Kelley

Profile:

So any recommendations for hip stuff?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Are you still seeing a physical therapist? Honestly, it's difficult to explain some of the exercises and I have trouble finding pictures of them online. If you can ask your PT for functional exercises to strengthen your hip abductors and external rotators, I'd suggest doing that. If you aren't still visiting them, let me know and I'll just go ahead and take some pictures and make a tutorial. This is not an uncommon problem and I'd like to help you out. Let me know.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I'm not seeing him anymore. Like I said, the problem got better for a month or so (probably just from not squatting for 3 months) and then randomly flared up again a week ago.

I have some physio tape and knee sleeves on the way to see if I can still squat occasionally, but I would like to correct the issue...not just mask it.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
I'm not seeing him anymore. Like I said, the problem got better for a month or so (probably just from not squatting for 3 months) and then randomly flared up again a week ago.

I have some physio tape and knee sleeves on the way to see if I can still squat occasionally, but I would like to correct the issue...not just mask it.
Alright, man. I'm having a pretty busy week this week so sometime over the weekend, I'll go ahead and take some pictures for you an put together a tutorial. Do you have any therabands (stretchy, elastic bands) from PT? If not, I can guarantee you could walk into your old PT clinic and ask for some to continue your rehab. The rehab exercises I'll give you will use those.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I have bands