CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Anthony Kohanski

Profile:
Hi all, I'm new to the boards and this is my first post. I'm leaving for bootcamp in less than 2 weeks. (Jan 16th is my ship) I need to be able to do 20 pull ups 3 miles in 18min and 100 crunches in 2min.

I already do more than 20 good form pull ups. I do 130 crunches in 2 minutes but my run time is about 9:15 for the 1.5 miles. I'm so disappointed I can't get my 8:59. What is the best thing I can do for running. I already know MORE RUNNING is the key but is there anything else to supplement it? I am running out of time. Thanks

Anthony
Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
You have 14 days? I'd partition that into seven days when you run, with seven rest days in between.
Day one you do 8 400m with 2 minute rest
Day three you do 8 400m with 1 minute 45 second rest
Day five you do 8 400m with 1 minute 30 second rest
And steadily decrease until you aren't resting after two weeks. Sound fun? It's not.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Anthony Kohanski

Profile:
Thanks, i appreciate the training regimen. I'm gonna give it a try.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Randy Roper

Profile:
Anthony,
As a survivor of Marine Corps boot camp I can tell you not to sweat your time right now. Those times are for a perfect (300)PFT which is a great goal, but one you really don't need to shoot for until just before graduation. Trust me you will get plenty of running in between day one and your final PFT. The last thing you want to do is show up for boot camp in an overtrained state. If your pullups, crunches and run times are already that far along you won't have any trouble maxing the test when the time comes.
Semper Fi
Old 01-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Anthony Kohanski

Profile:
Thanks a lot. Good to know the advice is from someone that was there. I just want to whatever I can now. I plan on resting 5-7 days prior to leaving. Semper Fi
Old 01-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Heh. I don't know if the Marine Corp's inprocessing is any different than the Army's, but you'll probably be getting more rest than you want before you start any actual training. The best kept secret in the Army is that you sit on your for a week and a half getting shots and whatnot before basic starts. It blows.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Anthony,

Getting a perfect 300 on the PFT, the individual scores of which you just listed, is not a requisite to surviving Marine Corps bootcamp.

I disagree with Mitchell. What you should be focused on right now is squaring everything else in your life away. Finances, family, friends, and anything else that you need to take care of. You're going to be gone for 13 weeks (not including graduation).

Reason being: Your mind needs to be far more resilient than your body during this time. Once in bootcamp, your focus will need to be on yourself and your fellow recruits, and completing your training with them. Bootcamp is much more of a mental test/game than a physical one, anyways. Your pullups and situps are fine, and your running will more than be taken care of during bootcamp.

For the next two weeks, you should actually tone down your training. This doesn't mean stop exercising at all, though. Play some fun sports with your friends, keep doing CrossFit but never at max intensity, do a few sprints and odd-object lifts every once in a while for the first week, rest and relax and have some fun for the last week, and just enjoy the freedom America gives you that you're about to go train to fight for.

Even if you don't max the PFT at the end of boot camp, you'll have plenty of time in the Corps to take care of it. With the Marines, thanks to LTG Amos' recent release to the Corps on A Concept For Functional Fitness, you'll have a much easier time keeping with CrossFit once you're around more of your future Leatherneck buddies.

Semper Fi. Thanks for serving.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Travis Loest

Profile:
Anthony,
Good Luck in Boot!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
Mark Paige

Profile:
I have to agree with Eric here. At least at Officer Candidate School, a lot of people showed up overtrained and were dropped a couple weeks in due to stress fractures or ITB injury. At OCS, the run was definately longer than 3 miles flat. A lot of people lost up to a minute on what they're used to. Do youself a favor and get as much rest and food as possible, you have so much time to worry about the PFT later on. Believe me, a 290 something will look good on you anyways. Good luck, have fun, haha.

Semper Fi!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
Anthony,
I strongly agree with Eric. From the sound of it, your physical fitness is on line...get ready for the rest. The biggest part of boot is the mental for guys like you. It is somewhat common for strong recruits to actually lose some strength in their time here. Remember, recovery is IMPORTANT!At least the weather won't be bad!

Josh Lundgaard MS, ATC, CSCS, PES
Athletic Trainer
1st & 2nd Recruit Training Battalion
USMC Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC