CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Matthew Bennett

Profile:
Tips on Starting my Garage gym affiliate

IM based in Ontario Canada and im very close to starting my garage gym affiliate but am looking for any advice or knowledge anyone might have. Most importantly is it a good idea?

Thanks

Matthew
Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Alan Bishop

Profile:
Re: Tips on Starting my Garage gym affiliate

Hey Matthew,

Good luck. I am in a similar boat out here on the west coast (Vancouver Island). I would be very interested in keeping in touch and trading "best practices".

Cheers,
Alan
Old 07-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Matthew Bennett

Profile:

Sure thing. Right now im going threw the motions to try and get goverment grants to help pay for all this.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Steve Rakow

Profile:

We started out in our garage and were there for about 16 months before moving to a warehouse space. It was great! We kept the garage spotless, had bars, bumpers, mats, pullup bars, boxes to jump on, and 3 rowers. As we grew, we bought more equipment, but never anything we couldn't pay for as we went along. With no rent in our overhead, we could put money back into the other aspects of the business. There wasn't much money to be made at the time, but that wasn't the point - at least for us at that time in our growth.

What we gained was the building of a fantastic community, development of our training skills, and no debt when we expanded to the box we're in now. Fortunately for us, though, we have 3 acres of land, a 750 sq.ft. garage, a driveway that's 1/4 mile down and back, and the neighbors are spread out such that we could hold large classes at our house without bothering anyone around us. So, our garage gym set up was different than most to begin with.

Go for it and good luck! The garage startup is a fantastic way to go, IMHO.