CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Firat Keler

Profile:
Re: Chondromalacia

I have a good knowledge about this issue. I've overcome it. But I'm not sure if this topic is alive.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
Russ Monzon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firat Keler View Post
I have a good knowledge about this issue. I've overcome it. But I'm not sure if this topic is alive.
i'm sure there are plenty here that would love to hear about how you overcame your knee pain. thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #23
Firat Keler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Monzon View Post
i'm sure there are plenty here that would love to hear about how you overcame your knee pain. thanks!
Hi Russ. Did you have this injury?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #24
Firat Keler

Profile:

I strongly recommend seeing a physician first. These are only my own experiences.

I don't know when exactly I got this injury. All I remember is that I went to a physician after having some ache in my left knee in 2009. He took and MRI. He told me that I had Stage 2 Chondromalacia Patellae. I studied Karate about 4 years before my injury. He also said that sickness is mostly common among women because their muscles are weak and men who did sports for years and then stopped doing. As treatment, I used some drugs. After I used them, he sent me to a physiotherapist. They advised me to not force my knees, never sit over them, etc.. and gave me some exercises to perform at home.

I created an exercise system for myself at home. I bought a medical sandbang. I started to exercise 4-5 days per week.

My first system

- Lean your back against a wall. Your arms, elbows, palms and back have full connection with that wall. Legs must be in front having no connection with the wall. Now without arching your back, slowly bend your knees and go down a little. Before your calfs get parallel with ground, stop. Stay there for 20 seconds without moving. Then slowly go up to your first position. Repeat 3 times. I started to hold there 30-40 seconds after a while. Slowly increase the intensity. You must force it.

- Place the sandbag outside of your ankle. I use 2 kgs. Sit down on a chair or sofa. Lean your back. Knees are bent (90 degrees). Now lift the sandbag with your foot until your leg is completely straight (full extension). Stay there for 20 seconds without moving. Then slowly lower it to its first position. Repeat 3 times (Don't mind the voice when you extend your leg). Nowadays, I hold there 30 seconds.

- Sit down on a chair or sofa. Lean your back. Knees are bent (90 degrees). Take a towel between your legs. Towel must be folded and thick. Now using your both knees, squeeze the towel for 20 seconds. Then relax. Repeat 3 times.

After I started to Fitness. I added extra strength to my quadriceps with leg extensions (My personel record is 3x8 with 55 kg).

One day, I hurt my knee when I was doing some leg curls. I thought it was worse than before. I went back to doctor to take another MRI. That was in 2011.

Findings were surprising. Chondromalacia Patellae has not disappeared. But it got better : Stage 1 Chondromalacia Patellae.

Doctor said me : "Your knees are better than mines. Keep doing whatever you do, never stop. If you do, you get yourself in a worse situation than before".

I still exercise 3 times per week. Staying long time at work or climbing stairs does not bother me anymore. I'm almost pain free.

However I have another problem now and much serious. A cervical herniated disk.. I have to find a way to beat it before it beats me. Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #25
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Just came back from CSM (largest physical therapy conference in the US). On of the hottest topics is treatment for chondromalacia patella/patellofemoral disorder/anterior knee pain. The trend is that a solution comes from fixing the hip and foot.

I wrote an enormous 3 part article about fixing this condition, with video demonstrations and a program, check it out:http://fitnesspainfree.com/?p=2942

That link is to part 3 of the series. it contains links to part 1 and 2.

Knee pain is all about the core, hip, ankle and foot!

Good luck,
Dan Pope www.fitnesspainfree.com