CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #41
Dan Thomas

Profile:
Re: Compression Gear

My parents are small business owners. We don't shop at WalMart, and will go out of our way to support local and family-run businesses.

All that being said, you guys and girls must have some great day jobs, because I can't even imagine spending $35 on a single pair of socks. I feel sort of mean saying it, but $35??? Really??

Maybe I'm not familiar with the technology and therefore can't appreciate it fully, but I use Nike's compression team socks... they're $16 for 2 pair at Dick's and they work great.

I really doubt the $27/pair difference is worth it.

So, maybe I missed it, but why would someone want to pay so much for socks?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #42
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
My parents are small business owners. We don't shop at WalMart, and will go out of our way to support local and family-run businesses.

All that being said, you guys and girls must have some great day jobs, because I can't even imagine spending $35 on a single pair of socks. I feel sort of mean saying it, but $35??? Really??

Maybe I'm not familiar with the technology and therefore can't appreciate it fully, but I use Nike's compression team socks... they're $16 for 2 pair at Dick's and they work great.

Dan,

I obviously have a dog in the fight, so I'm assuming my thoughts and comments will be taken with a grain of salt.

Regarding the Nike socks, they may be kind of tight, and they may be over the calf, but they aren't medical grade compression socks. If they were they would have a measurable level of compression. For example, mine are 20-30 mmHg. That is a great price if you are getting their knee highs that cheap. I usually see them for $15 a pair. Most people that have worn those Nike ones and mine or CEP or 2XU would tell you that the difference is night and day. Are they for everybody, definitely not, but everyone I know that has them says they are the first socks they reach after doing a load of laundry or prepping for a big workout.

And, believe it or not, but the $35 is cheap compared to some of the other brands out there which are usually $55 - $65.

Like I said, I'm probably a bit biased, but those are my thoughts.

Great question though and I'm glad you asked as I'm sure a lot of people ask themselves the same question
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #43
Brad Petri

Profile:

I've been wanting to try some compression tights and socks but never pulled the trigger. I'm about your size but wear size 9 dress shoe and 10 inov8, would you recommend a large sock or size down for the medium?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #44
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Petri View Post
I've been wanting to try some compression tights and socks but never pulled the trigger. I'm about your size but wear size 9 dress shoe and 10 inov8, would you recommend a large sock or size down for the medium?
Depends on calf size. I like them really tight and have started wearing them most days. I'm a size 9 in dress shoes and wear a medium and have relatively large calves. I would recommend a medium unless you don't want them really tight or if you have enormous calves (17"+).

Thanks and let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #45
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I'm about to take off for regionals but I'll probably do an order afterwards cause it's too late now.

I like the minimal design, the skins stitching, while it instantly marks they're product in the field for everyone to see, is pretty obnoxious. With all the positive comments I'm looking forward to giving these a try.

I do have a question though, I only have one pair of under armor compression shorts (possibly not even actual compression) and that's my limited experience. I also have a pair of vibrams and I've noticed with both those products they get really smelly really fast. How often do you have to wash actual compression gear? Once a week good? Would you suggest buying several (2-3 outfits) at once just so you have some stock or is just having one set okay for the week before you do laundry again.

Thanks for the good product at low price... I've been wanting to try this stuff for a while (if even just cause it looks cool) and could never bring myself to shell out 150 for one pair of pants.

Also... ship to Canada?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #46
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
I'm about to take off for regionals but I'll probably do an order afterwards cause it's too late now.

I like the minimal design, the skins stitching, while it instantly marks they're product in the field for everyone to see, is pretty obnoxious. With all the positive comments I'm looking forward to giving these a try.

I do have a question though, I only have one pair of under armor compression shorts (possibly not even actual compression) and that's my limited experience. I also have a pair of vibrams and I've noticed with both those products they get really smelly really fast. How often do you have to wash actual compression gear? Once a week good? Would you suggest buying several (2-3 outfits) at once just so you have some stock or is just having one set okay for the week before you do laundry again.

Thanks for the good product at low price... I've been wanting to try this stuff for a while (if even just cause it looks cool) and could never bring myself to shell out 150 for one pair of pants.

Also... ship to Canada?
I wash mine after every use, but then again I do have a pretty large supply of it for myself, haha. I think the amount of necessary washing will really depend on what you use it for. Strength work or recovery, you could probably get 3 or 4 wearings out of it between washings, but running or metcons, probably would want to wash after each use.

I obviously would love it if you bought a few sets, but I couldn't tell you in good faith that it's necessary by any means. I regularly cycle through about 2 sets of clothing and have about 5 pairs of socks that I wear every day, but I am living in a household of 4 and we do quite a bit of laundry and wear the stuff ALL THE TIME.

Yes, we do ship to Canada. Takes a little longer than to the US though.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for the interest.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #47
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post

Dan I've owned those Nike "compression" socks and it's night and day of these vs the others... Sadly I've spent more $$$ then I would like to admit on compression gear trying tons of different brands. I wish Greg had these over a year ago, I could have saved some $ and gotten a better product than many of the name brand stuff IMHO.

Compression gear is tuff to measure due to how much compression it really gives. A lot of stuff labeled at it does nothing but hug ones body but actually never compresses. Think spandex, it holds it tight, but is so thin it can't really compress.

I'll be ordering a few more items once the wife ok's me spending some more (have to wait on next months allowance)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #48
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post

I'll be ordering a few more items once the wife ok's me spending some more (have to wait on next months allowance)
I'm in the same boat. Really loving these socks - holding up terrific and keeping their compression. Can't wait to try some more from SPUN.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #49
Craig Horstman

Profile:

ok, here's my n00b question and it seems like i have the right crowd here to ask. what is the benefit of compression gear?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #50
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horstman View Post
ok, here's my n00b question and it seems like i have the right crowd here to ask. what is the benefit of compression gear?
Greg does a pretty good job of addressing this here: (wfs) http://www.spunperformance.com/Searc...s.asp?Cat=1477

However, there seems to be quite a bit of debate about the benefits, or lack there of, in using compression clothing. I can only say it definitely reduces pain/soreness for me and seems to speed my up recovery. Placebo effect? Maybe...but really I could care less as long as I am getting the results I want. This is similar to my feeling on CrossFit...not really interested in debating it so as long as I get results.