CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Chris Art

Profile:
Nike Romaleos and other recommended shoes

Hi,

Did they stop making the Nike Romaleos shoes? Are they highly recommended? I found a pair in my size on the Internet, but only one place had them in my size... seems they might be discontinued?

I ordered the Nike Romaleos, but are how do people feel about them? What other shoes are recommended, and what other options are there?

Thank-you.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Nike Romaleos and other recommended shoes

They are made in VERY small batches and can be found from a few places brand new online. They are do for an update I believe in 2012 so keep your eyes open then for them.

In addition to them, there are offerings from Adidas, Asics (brand new to the game, not the ones from 5 years ago, should be released in July 2011), Risto Sports, Dowin and a few others.

As much as the Nike's cost I just cant justify buying them, but if you think they are worth it go for it!! They are SUPER nice!!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Jon Thorland

Profile:

The Romaleos are fantastic and I definitely recommend them, even at their relatively high price. You get what you pay for; if Olympic lifting is important to you, you can't go wrong with them.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Chris Art

Profile:

cool... I wear 12.5 or 13 depending on the cut... I found 12.5's online, so hope they are not too small.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I love my Romaleos, even at the price. That being said, they're the first pair of lifting shoes I ever bought and from what I can tell they're basically a good second or third shoe. In my box there are Do-wins, Adistars and other brands in regular use. I haven't heard anyone who invested in a pair of shoes say they regret it at all. Seems kind of hard to go wrong, FWIW.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Hussein Abbas

Profile:

The Romaleos are AWESOME!!a guy from my box had them and let me try them on. I tried a few sets of hang squat cleans and was blown away.
The stability you have, especially at the bottom of the squat was unbelievable. You don't have to worry about wasting energy stabilizing, just coming out of the squat. Again, I was very impressed and am checkin daily for Rogue Fitness to get the next batch in, hopefully in May. Very pricey and kinda moon-bootish, but worth it.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Kevin Bean

Profile:

I was a skeptic until I tried my brother's on. Beyond the aforementioned stability, I was blown away by how much better I feel at the bottom of a squat, it just feels so right.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Steve Wingate

Profile:

To truly review a weightlifting shoe you need to be changing from another weightlifting shoe. Of course they feel different/better than regular sneakers if you need the support, which I do.

I have tried 4 different Oly shoes. I found the Nikes to be very narrow (even moreso than other Nikes), over padded and heavy. They tried and failed to improve on a wooden heel. They do look good though!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wingate View Post
To truly review a weightlifting shoe you need to be changing from another weightlifting shoe. Of course they feel different/better than regular sneakers if you need the support, which I do.

I have tried 4 different Oly shoes. I found the Nikes to be very narrow (even moreso than other Nikes), over padded and heavy. They tried and failed to improve on a wooden heel. They do look good though!
I agree that to review you need to be switching from another shoe. I have lifted in Addidas and do-wins. Different models of each one. The best shoes I'v lifted in are the Addidas Adistars from 2000 (first shoes I ever lifted in) because they weren't too narrow compared to the silver/red ironwork shoes (which hurt my feet. I then lifted in the blue suede do-wins and found them too loose, feet move all around in them. Then went to the leather do-wins. I love them, but you can't get them anymore. I'm not crazy about the newer Pendlay do-wins, so right now I'm thinking about getting the Nikes this summer (especially when I can get black).