CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-07-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Chris Haldeman

Profile:  
Hi everyone. I'm a 23yr old male in search of a new program. My current workouts consist of mostly powerlifts/compound movements. I have utilized cycling (periodization) in the past to improve on specific lifts, but I notice one aspect of my fitness level is severly lacking, my cardiovascular capability. I've never been a fan of running and I think crossfit could help me with my goals of not just being strong, but having anaerobic strength as well.

Just a few q's
1) General guidelines when starting? From what I've read, start the WOD as stated and most people said to take it slow in the beginning (1st month). Is it ok to skip a day if feeling fatigued? Or would an active recovery WOD be suggested?

2) I'm looking to start Muay Thai kickboxing again because a school has become available in my area. Should I tune down the WOD on the MT days?

3) I will be testing for the New Jersey State Police this coming May/June. In regards to the WOD and PFT, should I back off on WOD's before the PFT date?

Thanks for reading and responses. I'm looking forward to the WOD on FRI.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Chris-

Welcome! Regarding your questions:

1) Yes, and yes. Skip a day as needed and/or tone down a WO as active recovery. Some days my WO may be 20 min of practicing C&J with an empty bar.

2) In the beginning you will likely have to tone down the WOD on your MT days. Assuming your nutrition is sound and you are sleeping well you will likely be going hard on both endeavors in ~6 months.

3) Yes! Taper and treat this like peaking for an athletic event. 5 days out really cut back on the intensity and perform perhaps a long endurance effort similar to your test 3 days out. Keep moving but really dial back the intensity.

Read through the FAQ, the free CrossFit Journal and the foundations page. You will be set!

Keep us posted on your progress
Robb
Old 04-07-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
Tpr109

Profile:  
Chris,
The NJSP Academy is a joke nowadays. Only have to pass our annual/standard PT test to get in,survive and graduate. Unfortunately, our standards have dropped to allow for "attracting" a more diverse group of potential recruits. Over 4000 took the same test I took back in '86 and 91 of us eventually became Troopers one year later. If you are serious about a career in the NJSP your training for the academy will be vastly different than your training once you get on. For now, train to coast through. Pushups,situps & chinups. 3-4 x per week. Never to failure unless trying for a new max once every three weeks. Run,Run Run. You don't like it too bad. There's alot about being a trooper you won't like but you'll deal with it. Build up to 3 miles in 21 minutes. Yes, that is fast but if you can do that the runs they put you through will be a breeze. You'll never run more than 5 miles at a 9 minute pace and I doubt they will ever take you close to that. Things have changed. If you can't swim learn or that may trip you up. Treading water for 10 minutes and a nice easy stroke will get you by. When and if you get on you can train WOD and sprints, distance is a waste for real life (LEO) application. No WOD now. Some food for thought... be careful where you post your name and intentions, in the old NJSP you would be a marked man in the academy by now. Run silent and deep. Train simple yet brutal!
tpr109
Old 04-08-2004, 06:27 AM   #4
Chris Haldeman

Profile:  
Rob, thanks for answering my ?'s and the welcome

Tpr109 - Thanks for your advice. It's funny to hear you say that the NJSP academy is a joke nowadays because I know it's thought of as the "elite" academy in the region by out of state agencies. So I'm guesing you could go through hell and back considering what it is now.

The PT test isn't in May/June. Just our initial applications are due by no later than May 1st, so I'm guessing the written will be sometime in June/July so the PT could be late August/Sept. Still think I should forgo the WOD for now?

It is a shame that the standards for LEO's everywhere are dropping. Lowering the standards should never be an option, it's just an indication that people need to raise their own.

But thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:23 AM   #5
Tpr109

Profile:  
Chris,
I'll give you an example of how bad it has gotten. A new class of approx. 120 started two weeks ago. Close to 30 failed our basic PT test the first week. Failing was not an option at any point in our selection,entrance or graduating phase years ago. Two people had to be rushed to Jersey Shore Medical center. Stress related? How will these people react during a stressful situation on the shoulder of an interstate? We have been getting by on our "old" reputation for years now. If we are #1 I can't imagine what #10 must be like. Don't get me wrong, we still get quality guys, I run a squad of eight and I'm very lucky to have such good young people. Like you said regardless of how the standards or academy have changed these guys raised their own standards. However, that is not the norm. Many agencies tried to copy out "Marine type" training with strong emphasis on mental and physical stress. 5 or 6 years ago we changed and modeled our academy after the Royal Canadian Mounties. They called it "adult based learning". It has been our downfall. A side note: The Mounties have scrapped adult based while we continue to use it. Due to legal challenges, the only PT requirement to get in,survive and graduate is the same PT a trooper has to pass each year. Again, this contributed to our downfall. They even went as far as to graduate a "special few" who never passed our most basic PT test. For years our graduation rate hovered at 55 to 65%. Now it is close to 85 to 90+%. Enough said.
As far as training. You have time. By all means train WOD for now and let it get you in great shape. Then, 6 weeks out from the PT test start training the hell out of your pushups,situps and chinups. Run three to four days a week. One day sprints (4 x 440) one day interval(25 minutes)and one day regular (1.5 miles to 3 miles) and one day long and slow (45 minutes). When you can run 3 miles in 21 minutes without killing yourself you will be there. You will be a star in the academy. Good luck and keep us updated on you progress. The job has many rewards and will offer you a good living. tpr109
Old 04-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Tpr109:

As a NJ resident, I'm grateful for you troopers being out there, anyway . . . despite the crap you take, and the absurd stuff our legislature demands of you.

Out where I live in "far west" Jersey (Lebanon/Clinton, around exit 20 on Route 78) we don't have a whole lot of cops EXCEPT the state troopers, and man, when you need one, it's nice to know they're there. Thank you.

Chris, I can't even begin to advise you on how to prepare . . . but I hope you make it.

Dave Wood
Old 04-09-2004, 06:33 AM   #7
Chris Haldeman

Profile:  
David - Thanks for the good wishes. It seems like a really positive board around here and I like the energy.

tpr109

Wow, I always thought the initial PT test was the minimum standard to get it. Then as you progressed through the academy, the tests became harder. Then once you hit that final and passed, you were lean and mean and ready to go.

Stress related? Geez, and I guess that's considered a medical condition so it would be discriminatory if you booted them. Like you said, if they can't handle a stress filled controlled environment, I'd hate to have them back me up on a stress-filled uncontrolled street scenario.

If I do make the cut and we eventually run into each other, I'll buy ya a beer. And if you don't drink, then I owe you lunch. Thanks a lot for your advice and insight. Take care.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
Tpr109

Profile:  
David,
Nice to know there are still a few NJ residents that are pro NJSP. You have to be from New Jersey to appreciate how hard it is being a trooper here. Even with on board cameras capturing our every move we still continue to do a tough job well.
Chris,
I wish you the best of luck. The need for young motivated men in this outfit never goes away. If there is any help I can give you along the way don't hesitate to ask. As far as that beer goes, I gave up alcohol 9 years ago and would gladly settle for a lunch. As far as training the knowledge shared here at CrossFit is unmatched and will more than prepare you for anything Sea Girt can throw at you.
To all LEO's on this board, train simple yet brutal and always be safe. There is nothing more important than going home at the end of your shift. tpr109
Old 05-06-2004, 07:51 AM   #9
Dave O

Profile:  
Chris:

Good luck on your test prep.

Trp109:

I am new to crossfit, and just found this thread. I would like to echo David Wood's gratitude. I am also a NJ resident and am very appreciative for the efforts of our law enforcement officers. You and your bretheren in uniform have a real tough job, and do not get nearly enough recognition from us regulars.

Cheers,

Dave O
Old 05-06-2004, 07:45 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Dave O:

Welcome to CrossFit!

Where are you in NJ? There are several of us here, although we haven't been able to put together a weekend workout yet, we're still aiming to.

I train at the Somerville YMCA, in Central Jersey . . .

Dave Wood