CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Matt Garman

Profile:
horse stall mats - transportation?

Regarding the horse/livestock stall mats that are so popular for lifting platform flooring: how easily are they transported? Can they be rolled up at all? If so, how big are they when rolled up? Do you need a truck to transport them, or will a large car suffice?

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry, which I'm sure is too small. But my wife has a 2004 Nissan Murano, which I'm hoping is big enough if the mats can be rolled. Or, they might lie flat in the Murano with the back seats folded down (I haven't measured).

Just wondering what the smallest vehicle folks around here have used to get the mats from the store to their floor.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Dave Hancock

Profile:
Re: horse stall mats - transportation?

If you are getting 4'x6', 3/4" or 1/2" mats, each mat will weight close to 100 lbs (or over) They won't roll up easily. If you plan on dropping weights (oly lifts with bumper plates) you probably don't anything thinner than 1/2".
Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Andrew Sharp

Profile:

I got 4 stall mats (4'x6'x3/4") into the back of my Prius. We rolled them up and stacked them in the back. Rolled up they were probably 15" in diameter, 4' long.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Ron Hoover

Profile:

I got 4 in the back of my Chevy HHR. It took some doing, the guy at the stall mat place and I sweated like fiends getting it in (even in 40 degree weather) and it was a bear pulling them out once I did get them home. But we made it.

Actually, it was a workout in and of itself, and I'm considering adding it to the rotation! Be prepared to cuss like a sailor moving these beasts around.

PS - those things do NOT like to be rolled up, at least mine didn't.

Last edited by Ron Hoover : 12-07-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Jason Wilbarger

Profile:

Chitown in the winter may make it more difficult to roll them but I'm sure it can be done.

-J
Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Ardi Shero

Profile:

Yes, Chicago weather will make it harder to roll them up, since they leave them outside in a yard. The good thing is that the TSC in Indiana isn't that far from us. I would recommend getting the Murano for this task though. I picked up 4 mats in a Nissan Pathfinder and laid them out in the trunk and over the back seats. Didn't need to roll them up. Just make sure you have another friend with you.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi Shero View Post
Yes, Chicago weather will make it harder to roll them up, since they leave them outside in a yard. The good thing is that the TSC in Indiana isn't that far from us. I would recommend getting the Murano for this task though. I picked up 4 mats in a Nissan Pathfinder and laid them out in the trunk and over the back seats. Didn't need to roll them up. Just make sure you have another friend with you.

It's definitely possible to roll them up, but if you have the option of the Murano, go with that and just lay them flat (or flat enough). Having a friend with you will definitely make it easier. They are HEAVY!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
David Tybor

Profile:

Call around, see if you can find a place that delivers. I found a Farm & Feed Supply store 35 miles away that charged me only $25 to deliver 1000 pounds of mats right to the door of my garage. You got enough places around you -- look near Joliet, Morris, etc.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
Ardi Shero

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tybor View Post
Call around, see if you can find a place that delivers. I found a Farm & Feed Supply store 35 miles away that charged me only $25 to deliver 1000 pounds of mats right to the door of my garage. You got enough places around you -- look near Joliet, Morris, etc.
Actually the closest to Chicago is St. John, Indiana I believe.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Pablo Saldana

Profile:

Those beasts are HEAVY and may prove quite a chore to handle. Take the Murano, a friend that's in shape that won't get gassed from lugging just 1 around, and buy some beers to celebrate your efforts after you're done.