CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Steven Ngo

Profile:
10.5K...just because

I have never ran more than 4.5miles in a single session before. After that particular run, I remember feeling quite a bit of pain afterwards...ankles, knees, back, both sides around the ribs area, all of that. That was then...

Around March 2007 I came across a post on some messageboard that mentioned CrossFit. Being in front of the computer all day, I had some time to check out the website. I read; I watched videos; I read some more; I watched Annie, Nicole, and Eva do Nasty Girls; and read/researched for about another month before I jumped in.

In April 2007 I was ready to flip my gym routine up on its head. I had been on it for a good 2-3 years and had plateaued (sp?) in many areas. It was a mix of general weightlifting and running laps every other day. I do not have access to all the cool crossfit equipment but I did have my gym membership. So, for the first month i was tweaking the routine to fit my schedule and resources. I also made parallettes and bought rings (because, well, you gotta have rings ). Sometime around the end of April '07, I saw mention of the ME Blackbox (crossfit wod, weights, crossfit wod). From there, it was on...

Fast forward to today (March 22, 2008). I had a run scheduled for myself and normally I would have done 5K (3.1 miles). But I woke up early because I had to get some work done and it was a beautiful day outside with a cool breeze that was blowing down leaves like it was mid-Autumn so I thought..."let's push it today". I mapped out a 10K route (actually more like 10.5K / 6.5 miles), psyched myself up, loaded on some songs and talk radio, and went for it.

This was my path: (w/f/s) http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-s...adena/55861936
From the 3-5mile markers (5-8K), there is a heck of an uphill which almost made me want to give up but I kept on trudging along.

My 5K time is usually ~22minutes. Today's 10.5K time (what I will note in my journal) was 61 minutes. There were some traffic lights that made me stop but I will not factor that in at this time. At about 30 minutes into it I was pretty much gassed out with nothing but fumes and a desire to finish what I started. I have just the slightest bit of pain in my back and my left knee but nothing compared to my 4.5 mile run back in the day.

So in just about a year of CrossFit guidance and mentality (albeit on my own with no coaching and the rare occasion of a training partner), I have conquered a barrier which I had not thought possible a relatively short time ago. For a guy that works in front of the computer all day and one who has no need to be any fitter than a potato, a 1 hour 10K without feeling injured, just for the heck of it, means quite a bit; not just as a personal accomplishment, but as a testament to the CrossFit way.

I just turned 30 a few weeks ago, am 5' 5", and weigh 138lbs. My next test is a bench press (yes, there is a bit of vanity) of 100lbs over bodyweight. My nemesis is 215lbs. I have a feeling that the next time I go for max, I will defeat my foe. But that is another story...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: 10.5K...just because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ngo View Post
I have never ran more than 4.5miles in a single session before. After that particular run, I remember feeling quite a bit of pain afterwards...ankles, knees, back, both sides around the ribs area, all of that. That was then...

Around March 2007 I came across a post on some messageboard that mentioned CrossFit. Being in front of the computer all day, I had some time to check out the website. I read; I watched videos; I read some more; I watched Annie, Nicole, and Eva do Nasty Girls; and read/researched for about another month before I jumped in.

In April 2007 I was ready to flip my gym routine up on its head. I had been on it for a good 2-3 years and had plateaued (sp?) in many areas. It was a mix of general weightlifting and running laps every other day. I do not have access to all the cool crossfit equipment but I did have my gym membership. So, for the first month i was tweaking the routine to fit my schedule and resources. I also made parallettes and bought rings (because, well, you gotta have rings ). Sometime around the end of April '07, I saw mention of the ME Blackbox (crossfit wod, weights, crossfit wod). From there, it was on...

Fast forward to today (March 22, 2008). I had a run scheduled for myself and normally I would have done 5K (3.1 miles). But I woke up early because I had to get some work done and it was a beautiful day outside with a cool breeze that was blowing down leaves like it was mid-Autumn so I thought..."let's push it today". I mapped out a 10K route (actually more like 10.5K / 6.5 miles), psyched myself up, loaded on some songs and talk radio, and went for it.

This was my path: (w/f/s) http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-s...adena/55861936
From the 3-5mile markers (5-8K), there is a heck of an uphill which almost made me want to give up but I kept on trudging along.

My 5K time is usually ~22minutes. Today's 10.5K time (what I will note in my journal) was 61 minutes. There were some traffic lights that made me stop but I will not factor that in at this time. At about 30 minutes into it I was pretty much gassed out with nothing but fumes and a desire to finish what I started. I have just the slightest bit of pain in my back and my left knee but nothing compared to my 4.5 mile run back in the day.

So in just about a year of CrossFit guidance and mentality (albeit on my own with no coaching and the rare occasion of a training partner), I have conquered a barrier which I had not thought possible a relatively short time ago. For a guy that works in front of the computer all day and one who has no need to be any fitter than a potato, a 1 hour 10K without feeling injured, just for the heck of it, means quite a bit; not just as a personal accomplishment, but as a testament to the CrossFit way.

I just turned 30 a few weeks ago, am 5' 5", and weigh 138lbs. My next test is a bench press (yes, there is a bit of vanity) of 100lbs over bodyweight. My nemesis is 215lbs. I have a feeling that the next time I go for max, I will defeat my foe. But that is another story...
NICE!! Great job just for the heck of it huh!! LOL
Old 03-23-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
Chad Skola

Profile:

That 215# is not going to know what hit it. 238 is going to be laughing in it's face. Good job on the run. I can relate to the pain. I hope to accomplish my first half marathon this summer with the help of, well running of course and much assisted by the will power and desire that crossfit makes you feed on. Pushing yourself hard then you though possible and liking it.

I love it!!!!
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Thank you for the feedback and encouraging words.

Just a little update: looks like i'm not completely invincible; 2 days later and my right calf feels a bit more sore than usual. I can still run on it but good thing I had 30-muscleups and a rest day scheduled in the near future