CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-29-2008, 03:29 AM   #21
Gabriel Gabel

Profile:
Re: Buddy Lee rope broke anyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
That's a crazy-looking rope. Any experience with it yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
I used one of the high end Duvide ropes and it was unreal! Ian Maclean the guy that engineered our rings bought the dG version and I was floored with the quality.
I am the manufacturer of the duvide Jumpropes in Thailand. I developed our ropes exactly for the reason that there were no durable quality jump ropes around. Even if the rope was not faulty, it would not last longer than 3-4 month before the rope wore so thin in the middle that it broke and I had to get a new one.
So far, I never went through the special PU middle section of our ropes, although most of the time I jump on concrete. There were a few incidents where some people went through the PU but it does very slowly and is predictable. It leaves enough time to order a replacement and continue training until it arrives. All the sleeve bearings are extremely durable and can be greased.
Our jump ropes are training jump ropes as opposed to competition jump ropes and some models can be weighted. But all movements are possible and double-unders perform smoothly.
Complete infos are on the website duvide.com.

I sent a sample duvide dS to Annie of Crossfit Santa Cruz and this was her reply (I hope she doesn't mind):
"We did receive the jump rope and a couple of people REALLY like it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to use it, because it is too long for me and if we shorten it to my length, no one else will be able to use it "
Maybe some more feedback from there will be available?
Buddy Lee used to distribute our jump ropes for a while in the USA. He will be able to comment as well.

Right now we are in negotiations with power-systems.com to distribute our ropes in the U.S. It is not a closed deal yet and if crossfitter want to help our small business, you could send an email to power-systems saying that you would like to see them carrying the duvide Jumpropes
In case some of you have questions (or need jump ropes) you can pm me here or contact me through our website!

Frank

To also add something to this forum's the subject: my BL Aero Speed broke too at the ring where the rope is attached to the bearing. But that happened when my kids used it for double dutch...
Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #22
Henry Whitaker

Profile:

Stefan,

I purchased the speed cable rope about six months ago and have been a satisfied customer. The cable is indeed thin and tough, and the plastic handle seems pretty durable as well. The rope is also adjustable.

The main downside is that it whips you in the shins pretty stingingly each time you miss. Since the rope is tough and thin, that can hurt and leave marks. The rope also doesn't use a bearing system like the Buddy Lee ropes, so you are probably not going to be able to do crosses and fancy stuff like that requires you whipping the rope in various sundry directions. But for straight-up double unders and the like, I think it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Borovina View Post
wow... good thing i read this thread... i was looking to purchase a BL rope this week.

I think my next choice is going to be this rope (WFS): http://buyjumpropes.net/speed_cable_rope.html

This rope looks both fast and tough. I have seen some positive reviews from other crossfitters so I want to give it a try. I just want to see if it is adjustable because I think it is a little bit too long for me.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #23
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:

Man, I just ordered two more Buddy Lee ropes. I have two, and one of the rings where it attaches to the handle broke. I picked up a replacement at the hardware store for 25 cents. But, I guess I'll be looking for more ropes in the next few months. Hopefully they'll last longer. Has anyone heard anything from Buddy Lee about this problem?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #24
Ian Maclean

Profile:

i am sort of a jump rope junkie... so i ended up getting the top of the line buddy lee rope. in 4 days the bearings started rusting. 2 weeks the rope snapped.

so seeing as how i have a thing for making stuff i set out on a evening of googling bearings to use in my "dream rope" i was thinking stainless steel & a top notch cable. well, i somehow found the duvide. and yes i spent a bunch of cash on it, but i have no desire to make my own now. (it works and it is overbuilt). i say go old shcool leather for $15 or spend the nut on the duvide.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #25
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Bill, how much will you be selling the rope for at Rogue?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #26
Michael McLeish

Profile:

Funny,

I just came across this thread yesterday. We had 20 DU's for a warm up this morning and guess what happened! My Buddy-lee rope broke in the middle while my partner was doing her du's. Now I need to get a new one too. I'm probably going to place an order of 4-6 ropes for our affiliate we're standing up next month so I'd be curious to see the recommendations here.

Mike
Old 03-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #27
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mcleish View Post
Funny,

I just came across this thread yesterday. We had 20 DU's for a warm up this morning and guess what happened! My Buddy-lee rope broke in the middle while my partner was doing her du's. Now I need to get a new one too. I'm probably going to place an order of 4-6 ropes for our affiliate we're standing up next month so I'd be curious to see the recommendations here.

Mike
Walmart adjustable cord (2-in-1) jumprope or the old school leather ones....$6.95 and $13.95 respectively.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #28
William Henniger

Profile:

I have only used the high end rope that Duvide makes and with the quality of that rope I placed an order.

Just like the rings, I will let you guys/gals decide if they are up to par. I have the following names as the first 3 people that posted on this thread:

Dave Henry

Scott Hanson

Chris Drewry

It may take a few weeks(first run) to get the ropes but once they hit I will send the 3 guys named above a free set of the dS ropes. This has proven the best way to test equipment.

Dave, Scott and Chris send me your shipping address and I will send you the first 3 sets. They may take a few weeks to ship due to the manufacturing location but as soon as I get them you will have them en route to your house and/or gym. I am going to outfit my gym with them and let my athletes beat the **** out of them, I will post our review as well.

I can't wait to put them to the test! For those of you that use jump ropes on a regular basis, post the gauntlet that we should use!

Bill Henniger: bill@roguefitness.com

Last edited by William Henniger : 03-01-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #29
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Bill, you're a topnotch guy. That's good stuff.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #30
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I started reading this thread a couple days ago. I actually found it the same day I was trying to decide what to add to my garage gym, and a Buddy Lee rope was one of the top three items as I didn't have enough for bumpers. So glad I found this thread. I have a nylon rope ( I think it's nylon) that works, not fast at all and no bearings or swivels, but I'm sure it's in no danger of breaking or snapping. Thank you guys........instead of buying a poor quality rope I have a new 1.5 pood KB and finally got around to building that plyobox!!