CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-20-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
Ross Burke

Profile:
Since I quit the track team last spring due to knee pain I have probably only done enough steady state cardio workouts to count on my two hands. However I have pushed my conditioning hard through sprints, calisthenics, wrestling and wrestling drills, the rowing erg, biking, squats, and clean and presses. On wednesday I felt like doing some distance running again. I planned on running as far as I could in 20 minutes. I got off to an o.k. start, hitting a mile and a half in about 10:35. Then I rested a little bit and ran two more quarter mile laps and collapsed. I started doubting myself and my exercise plan. I felt slow and out of shape. Thursday I was back in the gym and did as many clean and presses as possible in 20 minutes, followed by squats and weighted pullups. Friday I went back to the track and did 9 quarter mile laps in 18 minutes, still very slow, but it felt easier and better. Saturday I did as many squats as possible in 20 minutes with 155 lbs. Today, Sunday, I woke up very sore in the back and lower body, but I decided to go to the track anyway. During my warm up I thought about going home and getting some rest as I thought I was too sore to run, but I kept at it anyway and started the workout. To make a long story short I managed 11 laps, that's 2 and 3/4 miles, in 20 minutes. Not spectacular, but I was sore and the quarter mile course is downhill in the beginning and uphill in the end and is bumpy in parts. Plus it was my third workout back. Last year I could run 2 miles in 12 minutes but could only power clean 85 pounds. Now I have power cleaned 135 for reps and can almost run three miles in 20 minutes. I'm about 15 pounds heavier, nearly all of it muscle. I guess my message is that yes, crossfit-type workouts will lead to good performance on more distance oriented events, but it will take a few workouts, in my case 3, to get back into it if you drop long distance work entirely, so don't be discouraged if on your first workout back you do miserably. I don't know why this is but only that it is true for me. Thanks for reading my ramble. P.S. I'm the other Ross.