CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-04-2005, 07:38 AM   #21
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I recommend braided nylon. It works better than 3 strand rope in forming the sinnet. Probably the fattest that Lowes sells. You can take the rope, fold it into 4's, and hold that and see how it feels. The sinnet will be a little bit thicker.

For whipping, buy a spool of 3-strand nylon string, not too small because you'll be honking on it. When whipping, make it *tight*. That will really make it solid.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:06 AM   #22
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Made my rope yesterday with bright yellow whipping. Turned out excellent except for one part where my mother was talking to me and I lost where I was so that there is a little oddity in the weave at that part. With 100' of braided nylon (prepackaged at Homedepot for 19.99), the final length is 19'6".

Here's a pic of me doing it.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/12990.jpg
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #23
Brady Herrin

Profile:
Re: Making your own climbing rope for WOD

Thread revival. Made a rope this morning using this braid. We used nylon, but I'd use manilla next time. Nylon is softer on the hands, but stretches a bit.

Still, good times! Thanks for the info.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #24
Douglas A. Glisson

Profile:

Great thread. I definitely need to do this as no one around here has or can ge me any 1-1/2" and shipping to here is just nuts. Next question. What are you guys who have lower ceilings in the garage and no trees hanging from? Anyone have any creative ideas?

Thanks,

Glisson
Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #25
Judd Shea

Profile:

Bump for this awesome thread.

I was inquiring about rope and everyone was paying upwards of $70 for their rope from Rogue (I'm sure it's awesome though) and I just can't swing that now.

Only took a bout 30 min total to braid the sinnet and whip it wwith some nylon twine and wrap it in electrical tape and burn/melt off the ends. got a carabiner and gonna hang it today after work. I'll post pics when I do it.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #26
Chris Dunbar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas A. Glisson View Post
Great thread. I definitely need to do this as no one around here has or can ge me any 1-1/2" and shipping to here is just nuts. Next question. What are you guys who have lower ceilings in the garage and no trees hanging from? Anyone have any creative ideas?

Thanks,

Glisson
I hang it from my 8ft ceiling, sit on the ground, and climb legless kinda of in an L sit. I do this twice for every 15' rope climb in the WOD. Works for me and I kinda feel better knowing if I get into trouble I just have to put my feet down. You could try to descend legless aswell if your stronger than me. But my grip is usuall fried.

Chris
Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #27
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Just made a rope last night, after seeing this. Cost me $50.00 including all mounting hardware. A far cry from $200.00+ for most ropes online. I used 1/2 inch nylon rope, and did an 8 strand braid. I climbed it a couple times last night and it works great! Thanks alot Mike!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #28
Judd Shea

Profile:

FYI, i used braided nylon in a 100 ft prepackaged from The Depot for 19.99 and I had nylon twine, electrical tape and a carabiner already, so it only cost me $20 about 30 min and some tree climbing to hang it.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #29
Daniel Kunz

Profile:

Brendan, how about a pic of your bright yellow whipping?
What have you done at the starting end, whipped as well? Has anyone tried a spliced eye? Not sure how that would work with the square sinnet; I've done it with 3 strand laid rope and it works well.
Looking good!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #30
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kunz View Post
Brendan, how about a pic of your bright yellow whipping?
What have you done at the starting end, whipped as well? Has anyone tried a spliced eye? Not sure how that would work with the square sinnet; I've done it with 3 strand laid rope and it works well.
Looking good!
The original instructions called for generating the strands by doubling a number of lengths of rope back on themselves and then starting your plaiting. If you do that you have a built in loop at one end and only have to worry about whipping the other.