CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #21
Adam Scheiner

Profile:
Re: 10 Handstand pushups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Failed on rep 11 last night. Last time I tested about a month ago I was around 5 or 7. I'll try against the wall with parallettes and see how I do. I figure 2, fail on 3.
I have a kind of funny little story about using parallettes......
Last night I was messing around with freestanding handstand walks. Since learning how to do a freestanding handstand I notice that I feel lighter on my hands and thought I could do more HSPU's. I was curious to see if I could now do them against a wall with paralletes. I didn't realize that you really have to kick up hard to get up on them. So after doing a couple of flutter kicks I overcompensated and kicked up way too hard and went flying through the door and fell on the concrete floor. I just layed there for ten minutes or so thinking how big of a dumbass I was. After I got up I rested for a while and then got the HSPU on the paralettes, but I wasn't as happy because my heel is now a little bruised .
*For future reference if you use a door to brace yourself, make sure that it stays closed if you put some weight on it.*
Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #22
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Scheiner View Post
*For future reference if you use a door to brace yourself, make sure that it stays closed if you put some weight on it.*
Yeah, I figured that one out the hard way, too.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #23
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hahah, I do mine on a door that opens out.

As for proper technique when you kick up to handstand. You do not want to accelerate the kick towards true vertical. When you stop the kick and squeeze your body, your body will be still be effected by momentum and be off vertical forward. You would have to planche your shoulders to offset being forward and then open your shoulders back to vertical.

Thus, you actually want to kick just shallow of handstand, about 15 degrees, so it will " float " to vertical after you have squeezed your body even tighter than it should be when you initiated the kick.

This isn't a big issue when kicking against a wall, but if it's solid, and you kick past vertical, you will have to absorb some of the force going into the wall, that will bounce you off and you'll end up not staying on the wall. Or you will have to bend joints to absorb the force and straighten out.

I could some people putting holes into regular walls easily, hahah, like when they try to do wall runs.