CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
John Edmondson

Profile:
Re: Wooden Homemade Rings tutorial

I built a pair about six months ago in pretty much the same fashion. Three coats of water based poly, light sanding in between. Actually improves their grip, too.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Douglas A. Glisson

Profile:

OK. I have searched and can't find it. I bought the Purse Rings from Seattle Marine mentioned in another thread and jimmied a set of straps up but they do not adjust quickly. I was going to buy some straps to replace them but was wondering what rating they should have to be safe. I want to get cam buckles as they look to be the eaisiest to adjust. By the by I am 6'-2'' and 200 lbs.

Thanks for any recommendations,

Glisson
Old 12-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Dennis Barrett

Profile:

Douglas, Go to page five of this section and see the thread "Raising and lowering rings"

Dennis B.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
Thomas Covington

Profile:

I have made a pair of wooden rings and a pair of PVC rings. Even though my wooden rings did not turn out as nice as the ones in the pictures(I sanded instead of routed) I prefer the feel of the wooden rings to the PVC ones.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
Douglas A. Glisson

Profile:

I currently have my rings mounted with 2" tow straps with carabiners. Biners go through the loop on the end, wrap around the bar and down through the biners again. I couldn't find a 2" buckle (not a cam just an adjusting buckle like on gym bags) so I made some from 2 steel rings overlapped. I got the rings at the hardware store where the lag bolts and such are. Over, under through around the gymnast rings and back up though and viola. Very strong but doesn't adjust as fast as cams. I ordered some 2" cam buckles from an automotive store so I'll give that a try. They were only $7.50 each and about the same for the straps. Should be good. Maybe I can get the wife to test them out for me first. lol

Glisson
Old 12-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #16
Bernard Gauldin Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Miller View Post
Here are some rings that I made about two weeks ago. I absolutely love them. Extremely comfortable. Let me know what you think.
I still have no idea how to make them.
Could someone make a video of them making it?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #17
Dennis Barrett

Profile:

Bernard, I found some pics in my camera which I took while making my rings. I'll try to download and send them, probably tommorrow. It is really a simple process.
I did learn one thing about wooden rings. Whether you use sand paper or a router to round off the edges of the rings, if you were to look at a cross section of the ring where you grip it, it would be a square or a rectangle with well rounded corners. (see the earlier post w/ photo of the rings w/ blue straps)
This is just how mine looked. They are great for dips, pull ups, rows,stances and other ring work, but I have just started to work false grip pull ups in hopes of a muscleup.
I discovered that the "well rounded corners" became ridges on the heel of my hand and the end of my fingers with the exagerated reach around the ring that is called for in the false grip.
It will be well worth the time and effort to choose a 6 to 8" section of each ring to be the "bottom" of your ring. Sit down with a file or rasp and make an actual "round" cross section for your grip. It will make the false grip a lot easier to develop IMO.

Dennis B.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Hahah, funny you should mention that. I may be making a second pair of wood rings sometime this week for a friend, and I was planning to videotape the process.

Here's my first pair... ****ing beautiful.
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8...odringssk8.jpg
Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
Austin Peck

Profile:

so the consensus seems to be that the wooden rings feel better than pvc? I have a pair of PVC rings I made, and was kind of dissapointed in the way they felt...partially because there is a flat spot on one of them lol, but also the horseshoe shape seems kind of awkward and scratches up my arms.

Also, how is the thickness of the wooden rings compared to elite rings? I have the option of getting elite rings from my parents for my birthday...so if they are substantially better feeling than the wooden rings I can go ahead and do that...if not I can just take an IOU and wait until I need something up at college and make the wooden ones before I leave this sunday.