CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Hollis Petri

Profile:
If you were building a new house what design changes would you make to make it CF Friendly? I'm about to start building my house. Current design is for a colonial w/ 8ft high basement. Any suggestions? It's so much cheaper to do it now before it's built.

The only thing I can think of so far is to make part of the basement recessed so the ceiling is higher then 8" How big a section or how High I'm not sure. Any suggestions relating to Olympic lifts/climbing/Gymnastics or anything else I can't think of? Any climbing equipment suggestions?

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Hollis,

Whether it's inside or outside, you need to have around 20 feet of vertical space available for rope climbing. The rope itself should be 15 feet (bare minimum), plus a couple of extra feet for hanging and securing the rope.

You might want to check out CrossFit Journal Issue 1 (September 2002). It gives great info on building one's own CrossFit gym.

Mike
Old 11-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
Laura Rucker

Profile:
One thing I wish I had was a couple hundred premeasured meters of running path around house or yard.

That and the rope climbing height are probably the two things most houses don't have built in.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
2-3 stories navigable by rope-climb as well as by stairs.

A gym area with instant access to a measured running path.

A room long enough for hand-walking and gymnastics, with bars above it from which one could suspend rings, ropes, and pull-up bars.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Hollis - do you have room for an outbuilding? I purchased my house specifically because it has a 1,500 square foot garage with a 14 ft. tall ceiling. It is specfically for training and has an quite a bit of equipment. I have pictures of it in the equipment section of this message board. I think in order to answer your question you have to indicate such limitations as the 8 ft. basement height which will not readily expand to 20 feet. Do you have the land and money to build a separate building? Do you have any covenents that would prevent a metal building? You can get quite a big structure for a lot less money (than stick built) with metal.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Hollis

My advice is to use the basement for something else and try to outfit your garage or a separate shed. 8' ceiling is too low to jumprope or do presses/jerks or do wallball. If I had the luxury to start from scratch, I would add a garage or shed with access to the yard for outdoor activities such as running, climbing and tumbling on the grass. Even if you aren't going to climb, you need more headroom for jumping rope and lifting weights over your head and doing pullups, dips & muscle ups.

Congrats on building your own place!

Old 11-24-2004, 04:29 AM   #7
Hollis Petri

Profile:
Thanks for all the replys

Eugene very nice garage.

I was originally doing a garage underneath because I'm on a fairly steep slope and I'm in new england and heating an outbuilding/garage is somewhat expensive. However, it's a modular house and they have this 12 x 25 greatroom addition option with cathedral cealing that is about $12,000. Lots of windows. I should probably just put that on one side of the house and use that. Maybe drop the floor/raise the ceiling if possible. That may be the nicest option.
Thanks again.