CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Olympic Weightlifting Programming for Beginner's

I'm on week four out of twelve of the program my olympic weightlifting coach put me on.

The thing is, my coach is, for lack of a better word, very old school.

I think he has me wasting alot of time and energy on assistance exercises that, in my opinion, should be irrelevant at this point in my training.

Four weeks ago we tested out my max lifts to base the program around and I ended up with a 67,5kg clean and jerk and a 50kg snatch.

I can power clean and jerk more than that, and power snatch more than that and just to give you an idea of where I'm at, strength/technique-wise, I'm a 21 year old 72kg male and a few of my other lifts are (even though some of these are 6-7months old):

Back Squat: 130kg
Deadlift: 130kg
Bench press: 95kg
Shoulder press: 62,5kg
Front Squat: 100kgx3
Overhead Squat: 60kgx2

With these numbers I feel like I should be spending more time on snatching and cleaning and jerking and less time on assistance exercises. My coach disagrees and talks about needing to balance my strength out... Week four of the program and with a snatch of 50kg four weeks ago and the program hasn't had me snatching anything heavier than 45kg. I feel like I should be pushing my maxes alot more often. In fact, this 12 week program is based around maxing out before starting and never again during the 12 week period, which not once takes you past 100% of your beginning maxes.

So, a complete beginner like me snatches 50kg and in three months doesn't try once to exceed that weight.

I guess I just wanted some second opinions. My coach's program is 30% contest lifts and 70% assistance exercises. (That's repition-wise.)

Could some of you weightlifters pitch in and let me know what you think and perhaps point me to a more beginner-friendly program?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Olympic Weightlifting Programming for Beginner's

I think you should head over to Performance Menu and ask your question there as that site is strict Olifting.
www.performancemenu.com
wfs

Many Oly coaches agree and max lift attempts are not too often
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Thanks. PerformanceMenu was my first bet, but I've had an account on those forums for weeks now and I still don't have permission to post threads/replies... Don't know why.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #4

Profile:

Julius -

Your account has been activated - we get backed up sometimes.

RE maxing - for the stage you're at, maxing is neither productive nor necessary. At the moment, your limiting factor is technique - you're not yet able to convert your strength well to the classic lifts - for example, you're able to FS 100 x 3, but only clean & jerk 67.5. By way of example, more technically proficient lifters are able to clean upwards of 90% of their best FS. So a max attempt at this stage isn't a genuine max effort.

Since I don't know what exactly we're talking about in terms of assistance exercises (i.e., is it squats, benches, presses, deads, pulls, or curls and tricep extensions), I can't comment on their appropriateness. However, I'd agree if your coach is working your technique in the classic lifts with light weight while building up a greater strength base - once your technique comes up a bit, I'm sure he'll have you applying it more regularly to the snatch and CJ.

Be patient with it and you'll progress much more ultimately.

If you're looking for a basic program, Coach Burgener has a template on his site -
http://www.mikesgym.org/programs/ind...m&programID=10 (wfs)
Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Kevin Perry

Profile:

I say listen to your coach and just continue with your own strength training...

My coach is slightly the same but his reasoning is that you cannot add weight until form is correct and he literally has me doing dozens of dozens of balances with just the bar and light weight ( 10kilos per side).
Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Thanks, Greg.

I don't have the program itself with me, but I'm going to see if I can borrow it and make an excel template out of it to get some comments on it over on PerformanceMenu. I do have my training log up to now, but to put things in perspective I guess it would probably be better to wait untill I can post the whole thing.

Kevin, I hear you on the form work. I spent about two weeks doing literally hundreds of 30kg snatches.

The thing that bothers me is that on this program, I'm doing more power snatch reps than snatch reps and just can't see how that's going to help me improve my snatch since I can already power snatch more than I can snatch.