CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Eric C Fritts

Profile:
Onnit questions

I have heard great things about Onnit supplements & proteins. Does anyone have any experience with their products? They are on the expensive side...don't mind spending a little extra $$$ if it's worth it...however if it is not I don't want to waste my money. I was looking at their Alpha Brain, T+ total performance and hemp force protein.
I understand there is no magic supplements out there & don't expect miracles but I would like to take quality supplements that are not filled with a bunch of garbage.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Casey Dietz

Profile:
Re: Onnit questions

I've tried Alpha Brain before and totally think it's an expensive placebo. However, researching it online before I bought it, TONS of people claimed it worked for them. I thought it was a huge waste of money IMO.

Also, for what it's worth, I've read some peoples opinions that the ingredients (nootropics?) in Alpha Brain are under-dosed. They claim you can buy the ingredients yourself at a much greater bulk cheaper and mix your own concoction that is both more potent and effective.

But, if you really insist, what's the harm in giving it a run for a couple months besides a hit to the wallet?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

I highly recommend Chris Mason. With Chris (who supports CrossFit), you talk to THE person in charge. Great products, great results, and absolutely GREAT customer service.

Customer for life!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
I highly recommend Chris Mason. With Chris (who supports CrossFit), you talk to THE person in charge. Great products, great results, and absolutely GREAT customer service.

Customer for life!
Chris Mason is from At Large Nutrition. I noticed I forgot the company name!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Thanks Kevin .
Old 03-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
Dylan Farr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Dietz View Post
I've tried Alpha Brain before and totally think it's an expensive placebo. However, researching it online before I bought it, TONS of people claimed it worked for them. I thought it was a huge waste of money IMO.

Also, for what it's worth, I've read some peoples opinions that the ingredients (nootropics?) in Alpha Brain are under-dosed. They claim you can buy the ingredients yourself at a much greater bulk cheaper and mix your own concoction that is both more potent and effective.

But, if you really insist, what's the harm in giving it a run for a couple months besides a hit to the wallet?
Ive used and tested Nootropics and find them good. Ive tested them in different cycles, duration et al. Ive found Phosphatidyl Serine and Acetyl Choline Bitartate very good. Anecdoctally they work well for me. The PS is also quite good for Adrenal health with evidence based studies to back it.

The Onnit product is quite expensive. I like what they are doing. 70$ like worth doing? No.

For the record I have tested blood panels before and after using PS and Ive had lowered my cortisol levels using it, while maintaining same baselines in training, nutrition etc. I dont take nootropins everyday I am a fan of the least effective dosage and not crushing my livers with stuff. Good luck see how it goes
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Casey Dietz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Farr View Post
Ive used and tested Nootropics and find them good. Ive tested them in different cycles, duration et al. Ive found Phosphatidyl Serine and Acetyl Choline Bitartate very good. Anecdoctally they work well for me. The PS is also quite good for Adrenal health with evidence based studies to back it.

The Onnit product is quite expensive. I like what they are doing. 70$ like worth doing? No.

For the record I have tested blood panels before and after using PS and Ive had lowered my cortisol levels using it, while maintaining same baselines in training, nutrition etc. I dont take nootropins everyday I am a fan of the least effective dosage and not crushing my livers with stuff. Good luck see how it goes
Not to hijack the thread, but Dylan, could you give some dosing numbers for the PS? I'm interested in how many mg/day and when?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:

Disclaimer up front; I've never used Onnit products. The reason, every person I've talked to says kind of the same thing. "Sure, I guess it kinda worked...I don't know" - Word of mouth referrals from people I trust go a lot further than snazzy branding.

But, I have to admit, some of their fitness equipment looks pretty snazzy.