CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
Peter Marshall

Profile:  
Help! I can't do pushups! Whenever I try, I feel a loud and painful grinding in my elbows. This happens with any hand/arm position. Sometimes this happens with bench press but when it does it is not as bad. I have no problem pressing dumbbells. Does anyone have any idea what's going on and what I might do to alleviate the problem?

I'm brand new to CrossFit; my friend just introduced it to me last weekend. I am extreamly unfit (can't do even one pull up) so I won't be able to do most of the WODs or I'll have to do extremely scaled versions. I saw a 10k run as a WOD; I can do that...
Old 08-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Peter how tall are you and what do you weigh? Does this happen throughout the Range of Movement or just at a certain point? This is common as your joints are not used to the strain you are putting on them. As your body gets used to it and you begin to get stronger I would expect to see the popping decrease.
If the popping and grinding is just at a certain point you might try working your pushups slowly down stopping where before you feel the grinding and then coming back up.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Peter Marshall

Profile:  
I'm 5'10" and 165lbs. The grinding happens through most of the motion but I just noticed that it only happens on the way down. I could just work through this; it hurts less than my muscles do. But I wonder if I'm doing some nasty damage to the joints by ignoring this symptom.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
If it was just popping then I would probably say just ignore it and see if it goes away, but since its painful and your not overweight I would get it checked out before continuing.