CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: Double-unders: Functional... how?

There's functionality and then there's functional...ity.

Solely my outlook, but somethings are immediately functional. Deadlifts, sprinting and so on. There's no argument that they can and do occur in real life. Then there are things that allow us to derive a purely functional result. Abmat situp for instance. Never seen them in real life. GHD situps either for that matter. The midline stability derived from them however, is immediately applicable across a range of real world scenarios.

Likewise, the double under is about as far from real life, prima facie as it can be. The metabolic load, oxygen debt and motor skills required to pull off a string of them is, on the other hand, quite functional. Call it secondary adaptation(s). Again, just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Ross View Post
I understand the functionality or "functional-ness" of most CrossFit movements. But I don't understand why we do double-unders. Of course, they are hard, require a lot of coordination and get your heart-rate going. But at certain point (or high enough reps) any movement does these things.

I guess what I'm saying is: I get why we put in the time to learn a muscle-up. It's a skill that might actually come in useful, whereas, I can't see why learning double-unders would make you better at anything real except doing more unbroken double-unders.

Thoughts?
These "functionality" arguments exhaust me. Somewhere, somehow some people now define "functional" as mimicing a real life situation. But exercise is by definition artificial - think about it. Nothing artificially done directly translates to real life. The idea of any exercise is to create an adaptation to assist in a specific task - Not recreate a specific task. When is the last time you saw a football player power clean anything during a game? Or squat something during a play? Are these movements not "functional" for these athletes?

You say DU's are hard and require conditioning. That's good enough. Sure they don't do anything but make you better at Du's (and improve conditioning in the process) but that is what everything does. Cleans only make you better at cleans (and improve your power in the process), deads only make you better at deads (and improve your strength in the process), etc.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I don't really think they are better than other agility things we could be programming instead or in addition. Wouldn't shuttle runs, parkour drills, ladders, or sprints be at LEAST as worthy as double unders for being included? I think so.

But oh well. Ultimately I think it boils down to:
1) Coach Glassman likes double unders
2) Double unders are easier to do in your garage than 4 point shuttle runs, and easier for 15 people in a box to do simultaneously.
2) If you want other agility stuff, do it!
3) If you think double unders aren't worth your time, skip it.
DU's aren't better than anything else and aren't more worthy of programming than anything you listed. I agree with the 4 bullet points. There is nothing magical about DU's. HQ decided to program them. If you like them do them. If not, don't.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
Karl Steeves

Profile:

Double unders teach you how to jump and pass the rope underneath your feet twice instead of once; what could be more functional than that?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Steeves View Post
Double unders teach you how to jump and pass the rope underneath your feet twice instead of once; what could be more functional than that?
lol. While standing in the exact same spot! Because most of the time when I jump in life I hope to land in the same place I started so that I can jump again at least 50 more times.

If you ever get in a contest with someone where you need to stand on hot coals for time you better hope you practiced your DU's.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

If you only did things in the gym that mimicked what you did in real life, where do you draw the line? It is possible in today's world to "live" sitting on your butt all day.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
Brian Bedell

Profile:

"These "functionality" arguments exhaust me. "

x2000
Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
If you ever get in a contest with someone where you need to stand on hot coals for time you better hope you practiced your DU's.
This made me snort-giggle.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
and that you're wearing some very non-Pose acceptable shoes
Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
and that you're wearing some very non-Pose acceptable shoes
This reminds me of one of the other perils of double unders...when you do them without proper footwear and the rope hits you in the tip of your toe that hurts like a

I'm definitely not arguing about their functionality or lack thereof. But if anyone ever challenged me about my level of fitness I would not challenge them to DU contest to prove my eliteness anymore than I would a unicycle-off or stilt obstacle course ala unbeatable banzuke.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #20
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
I'm definitely not arguing about their functionality or lack thereof. But if anyone ever challenged me about my level of fitness I would not challenge them to DU contest to prove my eliteness anymore than I would a unicycle-off or stilt obstacle course ala unbeatable banzuke.
Here are the 10 General Physical Skills, widely agreed upon as set of skills that define fitness level: (those which are enhanced by double-unders are BOLD)

So argue all you want about functionality. If you can string together 50 double unders, that says something about your fitness level, 6 out of 10.

1. Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance - The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
2. Stamina - The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
3. Strength - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
4. Flexibility - the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
5. Power - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units,
to apply maximum force in minimum time.
6. Speed - The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
7. Coordination - The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
8. Agility - The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
9. Balance - The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base.
10. Accuracy - The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.