CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Completely getting rid of fruit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I'm 5'7" and 127 lbs right now, 41 years old & 19% body weight according to my hand held bio monitor. I know i need to work on strength ... a neck injury is currently side lining my progress there. Before my injury I had 1 dead-hang pull-up & 3 military push-ups...very weak squat & deadlift. But as far as diet goes:

I'm looking for opinions based on my stats: Should i Bulk up? Trim down? or Status Quo?

Thanks.
Don't trust your bio monitor. They're notoriously inaccurate.

You're the same weight as me, but three inches taller. So I wouldn't advise trying to trim down. I especially wouldn't advise it if you want to focus on getting stronger.

But I don't have to live in your body. Do you like how you feel? Do you like what you see in the mirror? Those are more important than an arbitrary number on a scale.

Katherine
Old 07-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #22
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Don't trust your bio monitor. They're notoriously inaccurate.

You're the same weight as me, but three inches taller. So I wouldn't advise trying to trim down. I especially wouldn't advise it if you want to focus on getting stronger.

But I don't have to live in your body. Do you like how you feel? Do you like what you see in the mirror? Those are more important than an arbitrary number on a scale.

Katherine
I want to focus on strength as I feel my cardiovascular capacity is pretty good...for example this week i did two metcons that both left me pretty sore for a few days but didn't make me terribly out of breath while doing them. To me this says work on Strength!

I like how i feel and look better than pre-CF, but I know there is more room for improvement.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #23
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jones Jr View Post
Nick,

Rob Wolf, among various other folks, would suggest going no-carb post workout, just protein. .
What? Robb Wolf suggests moving half of your daily carbs post-wod.... don't know where you got this.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

I thought it was supposed to be about 4:1 carbs to protein for both during and post workout. Carbs to replenish glycogen, protein to help with muscle repair, and no fat. This is what I usually read in sports info.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #25
Tom Jones Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
What? Robb Wolf suggests moving half of your daily carbs post-wod.... don't know where you got this.
I got it from his very own site. Notice i was replying to a person who said they wanted to drop bodyfat. According to what he has written on his site, Rob Wolf advocates no carbs post workout, if you want to get below 10% BF.

This isn't optimal for performance and recovery though.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Jean-Philippe Page

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jones Jr View Post
I got it from his very own site. Notice i was replying to a person who said they wanted to drop bodyfat. According to what he has written on his site, Rob Wolf advocates no carbs post workout, if you want to get below 10% BF.

This isn't optimal for performance and recovery though.
You're right, he says that it depends on your goals. (that one seems to be the proper answer to most questions asked here! )

I'll try to post the link to the post... but iirc his blog is banned here so the link probably won't make it through...

http://*************/2009/07/01/post...h-or-low-carb/

if that didn't work, insert his name in the following link
Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
Robert Newman

Profile:

There's no reason to get rid of raw fruit, bananas or otherwise. Bananas alone are one of the easiest foods on your digestive system as well as packed full of nutrition. The GI system is an incomplete judge of food quality. Micro nutritional content should be your primary focus in food choices (raw fruits and veggies beat out everything else in the carb department). Bananas and the like are great for health.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #28
Johnathan Benjamin-Nichols

Profile:

Hey bro...I've been doing crossfit going on 7 months. I too played college ball (defensive end/outside lb) @ 6'3 265. i struggled with the same problem having decent mass but wanting to cut the fat. I've been following the same workout routine (6 days on 1 day off). Just stick with it bro, I've lost nearly 40lbs.

I got in the fire academy in January so that helped with my transition into Paleo, spending so much time away from home & having to make my own lunch. Breakfast was usually boiled eggs & meat. Lunch was veggies, meat & fruit. Almonds & a little dried fruit as snack during the 8 hr EMT classes. I also drank oolong or green tea & coffee every now and then, it suppressed the hunger. Just listen to your body, "Paleo Diet for Athletes" is a good book to read. I read it when I was first starting out. The big thing is stay strong and dedicated, the results are guaranteed to come before you know it. Look at is as a change in lifestyle and not so much a "diet." AND..man...have a cheat day! I use my Saturdays for active rest & working on body weight movements (Handstand Push Ups, more consistent double unders, more efficiency on the rower) or just a really horrible WOD that a group of us came up with at the box (I train at Crossfit Daytona).

Have fun with it man as a former football player I know how it is! Hope this helped! -JB
Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #29
Jordan Buckelew

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
There's no reason to get rid of raw fruit, bananas or otherwise. Bananas alone are one of the easiest foods on your digestive system as well as packed full of nutrition. The GI system is an incomplete judge of food quality. Micro nutritional content should be your primary focus in food choices (raw fruits and veggies beat out everything else in the carb department). Bananas and the like are great for health.
Thanks for the response mate.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #30
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
Whew. The two bananas I ate today - both with coconut butter - are very glad to hear that. They were feeling a little misunderstood.