CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Juho Haapakangas

Profile:
Study: vitamin D increases testosterone levels

If this has been posted before feel free to delete/move this thread.

I ran into this study (December, 2009) that found a correlation between vitamin D- levels and amount of testosterone.

Here is the summary, there's a link to the full article:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...27538/abstract (WFS)

From what I understood:
- The researchers routinely measured the amount of vitamin D, testosterone, free androgen and SHBG (Sex hormone-binding globulin) in 2299 men through 1997-2000
- Men who had sufficient vitamin D levels had significantly higher testosterone and free androgen index and lower SHBG levels
- Some of the men were using their own vitamin supplementation which included vitamin D, but their testosterone levels were only slighly higher than normal
- Testosterone and androgen levels showed a strong seasonal correlation. The levels were lowest in March and highest in August.
- Of the participants 11.4 % were sufficient, 25.6 % insufficient, 43 % moderately deficient and 19.9 % serevely deficient in vitamin D levels
- 18 % had hypogonadism (very low testosterone), their vitamin D levels were significantly lower than mean values
- In the introduction-chapter the researchers state that vitamin D is mainly produced in the skin and nutrition/supplementation only plays a minor role (this statement is quoted from a previous study which I have not read)

Testosterone enhances muscle development, strength, and endurance. Is increased testosterone the reason vitamin D improves performance (or performance is increased in the summer)?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Study: vitamin D increases testosterone levels

It sounds like they mainly found correlation, not causation.

In other words, testosterone and Vitamin D levels may be associated, but that's not the same thing finding that vitamin D supplementation will cause higher testosterone levels, especially with a statement like the following: "Some of the men were using their own vitamin supplementation which included vitamin D, but their testosterone levels were only slighly higher than normal"

Still, interesting stuff (and yet ANOTHER reason that whole milk, which contains fat soluble vitamin D that is readily absorbed, may be better than steroids for novices, haha). Thanks for posting it. I hope this spurs more, similar, research.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Adam Acosta

Profile:

I remember reading Michael Rutherford saying something to the effect of coaches noticing and taking advantage of athletes making greater strength gains in the summer than otherwise when planning a periodized training schedule.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Acosta View Post
I remember reading Michael Rutherford saying something to the effect of coaches noticing and taking advantage of athletes making greater strength gains in the summer than otherwise when planning a periodized training schedule.
Remember that high school and college athletes don't have classes in the summer, which presumably allows them to focus on their training more.

Katherine
Old 03-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Acosta View Post
I recall reading (think on Dr. Harris's blog) that you need a certain level of vitamin d to maximize muscle strength.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
I recall reading (think on Dr. Harris's blog) that you need a certain level of vitamin d to maximize muscle strength.
You may recall reading that in my article as well.

Russians found it to be approximately 50 ng/mL in the blood. More or less confirmed by everything else.

Remember, vitamin D is a seco-steroid so it does have muscle hypertrophy and strength-like effects associated with higher intake (within normal limits of course).

I described some of the effects in part 4 of the said article. Refresher if you want wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-at-vitamin-d/
Old 03-31-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
You may recall reading that in my article as well.
Probably as I've read your article a few times.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Probably as I've read your article a few times.
I actually probably need to do some rewriting of half of my articles now though, gah.