CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Joe Agliozzo

Profile:
Groupon type discounts for Crossfit Equipment

Anyone interested in a Groupon style group buying site for Crossfit related equipment? Thinking all types of weights and equipment as well as foam rollers, ropes, jump ropes, even supplements, etc.

Not promoting anything in this post, just trying to draw some feedback from the community.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Groupon type discounts for Crossfit Equipment

I think with the limited number of vendors it would be a problem finding someone to give those kinds of deals everyday. I'm all for it though!!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

I've seen groupons for CF gym memberships, not for the equipment itself.

I think the demand/supply balance favors the suppliers right now, they don't need gimmicky deals/ discounts to move product.

That being said, if there ever was one offered I'd be all over it.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Eric Hetrick

Profile:

Same here! I would definitely use one if there was one offered.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Joe Agliozzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I think with the limited number of vendors it would be a problem finding someone to give those kinds of deals everyday. I'm all for it though!!
I think you're right - would probably have to be a weekly deal. Even though it seems there are not a lot of vendors, when you start to make a list and look at the related stuff, there is a pretty good number of folks competing for the crossfitter's dollar (I know I have given them a pretty nice chunk of change, including Rogue, OTP, BFS, SF, etc.). I also think that this type of program would work great for those who are on the fence about buying a new piece of equipment and the discount tips them over the edge. Once they have a good experience with a vendor and the equipment (and Crossfit of course!), they will then become a repeat customer - I know that has been my experience!

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

I think a more reasonable idea would be for a vendor to offer free shipping to one site if enough equipment was ordered. For example, Rogue could say "We'll ship your equipment free to CrossFit Atlanta at a certain date if we get more than $10,000 in orders." Then everyone in Atlanta could place an order for this promotion. If $10,000 is passed from all the orders, Rogue could do one bulk shipment of all of the equipment to CrossFit Atlanta to save on shipping costs and everyone could go pick up their equipment from the Box.

I know I'd be tempted to get some more equipment if I could get around the high shipping costs. To promote it further, the vendor could drive a truck full of equipment down to the box a few weeks early and let people try out the equipment.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Rob Ray

Profile:

Totally agree: if it existed, I'd use it. Of course the way around the supplier-issue I guess would be if someone wanted to build/ship homemade gear that was soundly built, although I'm sure there would be a TON of red-tape and liability issues in that case.

Regarding free shipping, Rogue does offer it on some it's packages (my bar and plates came free, just had to pay for shipping on my rings), although it doesn't help those of us piecing-together our respective gyms.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Alex Keller

Profile:

Great idea. I'm in!

Let me introduce myself-
I don't want to abuse these boards, but I recently started selling CrossFit equipment. To give you a short background... my brother, Peter Keller, has been Crossfitting since 2005, and is a regular contributor to these forums (I have thus far been mostly lurking- but learning a lot). Anyway, he rubbed off on me a while back and with the disconnect between homemade equipment and the prices some suppliers charge, I decided to try to see if it were possible for a company to offer high quality, strong equipment at prices that make it much more affordable for Crossfitters.

To get to the point, I think an offer like this would be perfect for me and better yet would be a great deal for all the Crossfitters working with a budget. I would like to bounce some ideas off you guys as to the best way to execute it. I don't have the web capabilities that the groupon has, but I have an idea of how I could pull it off.

Please stop me if you feel this would be a misuse of the forums (as I do represent my business), but I'll come back in a few days with my ideas if not!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Aaron Schupp

Profile:

I doubt that would work for most suppliers. Right off the bat Groupon wants you to mark down the product by at least 50%. After that Groupon takes half of the money from the sales. Suppliers don't have enough margin in their equipment to support that. By that structure they would be losing money on each Groupon sale.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Joe Agliozzo

Profile:

Groupon is a marketing channel for businesses to get new customers. Most probably aren't concerned with making a profit on the first sale, they plan on making money on subsequent sales, aka the "lifetime customer value". It's all about getting a new customer. I have spent thousands of dollars on crossfit equipment vendors, and I always spent the most time deciding on the first purchase from each vendor. Breaking down that resistance to the first purchase is why Groupon type offers are good for vendors.