CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Ben Allen

Profile:
I am going to start fitting out my garage, but i dont want to buy anything that is not going to last. I have been looking at alot of different oly. bars and they range from £50 to £400. What should i be looking for when buying the bar?

I have seen that on WFW.com they have a bar recomended for Xfit. Has anybody used one?

Also on the same site they have 2 other bars. Would you recomend either of these 2?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Barney Ring

Profile:
Ben,
I have the Pendlay Crossfit bar. I like it alot. It is much smoother than the cheap bars I have and the knurling doesn't tear my hands up.

I highly recommend it.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Damien Del Russo

Profile:
Just my 2 cents, but I have two cheap bars that I got for basically free. One of the collars easily slides off (it's a feature!) and they are rusty in spots (kept outdoors). Yes, no complaints and they work for everything I've tried so far. Note, we don't do heavy olympic lifts. For basic stuff, I would spend my money elsewhere, depending what you already have.

Of course I would eventually love to have rubber bumpers and a sweet smooth Oly bar. The $1100 black rubber bumper set from York is especially appealing (comes with a nice bar). That's a commitment for me so I am waiting it out - the free stuff off Craig's List will do until then.

Happy shopping!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
Ben,

There are many posts on this you can find off the search feature from the home page. They breakdown to this: 1. You can't go wrong with Glenn's bars or his service. 2. Unless you're going to be competing at Oly or Power lifting, it's all the bar you'll need.

For a point of reference, my gym has two CrossFit bars. I can't see beating them for value. A cheap bar will not hold up to being dropped. A super nice York, Eleiko, Pendlay, Chapman, etc. is a beautiful thing. BUT, they are out of your price range and just not necessary.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 AM   #5
Ben Allen

Profile:
Thanks For the info guys. I have had a read through most of the other posts on the subject and will probably try one of the crossfit bars.

I am at a bit of a disadvantage living in the UK. Suppliers of all equipment just seem to change the $ sign to a £ sign and we end up paying twice as much, and to top it all off we have rubbish weather.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Allison Foreman

Profile:
Ben, if you'd like to check with York UK, you can reach them at Churchill Way, Daventry, Northants, NN11 4YB England. Tel. (01327) 701-824 or at helpdesk@yorkfitness.co.uk.
Would love to offer you the 30% discount on any of York's products I offer the CF commmunity, but I fear the shipping rates would be problematic on a solo order going from US to you. Happy to compare, though! Allison Foreman, York Barbell
Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Ben Allen

Profile:
Thanks Alison. I will look at the website. Is there a specific bar you would recomend?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
John Seiler

Profile:
Allison in the house!!!

For those like me who were unaware, York now has American made Needle bearing bars to replace the discontinued International bars. York is a stand-up company and Allison is a peach. Highly recommended for bars, racks, and GHD.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
Kevin McGuinness

Profile:
Do yourself a favor and shell out the dough for a decent bar. I have a $120 Sports Authority weight set. It's a month old and the collars have already start to come undone.

And get some nice bumpers too, iron is loud and breaks stuff:showoff:
Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
Allison Foreman

Profile:
Ben, the 32110 North American Men's Needle Bearing Olympic Training Bar would be my recommendation for you - it lists at $300 US. Don't know what kind of discount they can give you in UK, but certainly worth a check!