CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #171
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Just passed my 2nd carb up and am into another week of low carb. My wife and I went to Todai last night for her Bday (they give freebies on Bdays!). I had been scarfing pretty much all day, probably around 1500 cals down by the time we got there.

After we had been there about 1/2 hour and I'd eaten quite a lot of sushi, shrimp, a large Kirin and much tempura I headed for the desserts. About then I got the most curious feeling, something like I actually was getting a pump!? I guess this the oft mentioned effect of the carb up on the muscles. It is quite amazing and even this morning I feel the effect.

Here's what my carb day looked like:
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp
I thought that I'd eaten a lot more than 3200 cals during the day so I was surprised seeing the fitday numbers. My carb numbers aren't as high as some I've seen others post but then again I'm not really interested in getting large. After this carb up and realizing that I've adapted quite well already, I will be reducing my fat levels to really test things out.

Comments or observations welcome.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:21 AM   #172
Brendan C. Cook

Profile:
Whew! Quite a lot of info on this thread...trying to digest it all (sorry, couldn't help myself). I have just downloaded the two abridged MD e-books (Thanks for that post, btw!!) and am hoping that all the diet gurus can help me on this.

My plan is to go MD pretty strictly, but with a paleo twist (rather like Kevin's plan) however, I think that IF is not going to be feasible due to work schedule (and of course the family schedule too) so am I setting myself up for trouble without IF? Also, has anyone run into trouble putting the WOD in the afternoon? Any thoughts on doing a 5/2 training split in conjunction with a 5/2 low COH/carb-up cycle? Is it going to through off the hormonal effects by NOT doing a glycogen taxing workout during the carb up?
As always, thanks for all the help in advance!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 AM   #173
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Brendan - IF certainly has a plethora of health benefits, but it is in no way a necessary component of the MD.

If an afternoon workout works best for you, then it's the right choice. Personally, I was never able to go all out during an afternoon session. The only thing that kept me from puking during a WOD was the lack of any food in my stomach (I workout early a.m.). This is definitely a very personal thing...

Honestly I think that you're better off not doing a glycogen taxing workout during the load. One of the main benefits of the load is that it stuffs your muscles with glycogen so that your performance stays high during the week. Just remember that your last two workouts of the week (Th,F) will naturally have less intensity due to your extremely low levels of glycogen. Hope this helps!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:48 AM   #174
Brendan C. Cook

Profile:
Jon et al,
Trying to get the planning right for the switch and entry into adaptation purgatory...
I'm planning to eat 5x/day, with meals consisting of protein (size and thickness of palm), large serving of greens/crucuferous veggies, with maybe some carrots and onion (depending on recipe), and nuts or nuts/oil...thoughts/comments?
But, here's where I'm getting stumped: the snacks. Should I just divide a meal in half? any thoughts/ideas/recipes would be appreciated, even if you want to PM them to me.
the caveat: Must be portable, as I'll have to take all the above with me to work ;-)
Old 10-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #175
Craig Cooper

Profile:
Ok, just finished my first M-F on 30g C/day, feel great. Also, I was expecting to have reduced energy during my WO on friday, but instead I was unstopable, ended up adding 2 rounds to my best Cindy score, I can't believe it!