CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Kevin Lail

Profile:
Power Clean Critique

This is my first post here. Do guys mind critiquing my power clean?
Thanks
Kevin
http://youtu.be/v9otzIY1DqA
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Power Clean Critique

I'm bad at the oly lifts and their variants, so hopefully those more experienced will chime in.

You need to get those elbows up and out much faster and ideally higher (almost parallel to the ground). When the weights get heavier you'll need to get under it faster and having those elbows whip around should help.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Matt Bell

Profile:

I'm no expert... but, I'll give it a shot.

The first thing I noticed is that your feet are way too far apart. Unless you're REALLY tall, they should be in a position where the smooth (un-knurled) part of the bar can slide up your shins. Your feet should start probably somewhere between 8-12 inches apart, toes pointing slightly outward at about 10 degrees. This would be the about same position you'd put them if you were going to perform a flat footed vertical jump, which should also be the same start position for a deadlift. During the jump/second-pull, your feet will naturally spread outward for stability, and you'll land in something closer to a squat stance, so you need to reset between reps.

Looks like you're also starting the second pull a little early, because your elbows are already bending before you've started to jump. Rotate your shoulders inwardly at the bottom to keep them locked before you start off the floor.

Also, think about setting your lower back and getting your chest up a little to flatten your back out before the pull off the floor.

Last edited by Matt Bell : 05-06-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Kevin Benson

Profile:

Watch this journal video and then your's. You should be able to see the differences and easily figure out what you need to work on.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2013/05/...reArticleTitle (WFS)
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Feet are too wide at the start, no hook grip, early arm bend, bar gets away from the body during the pull, elbows are slow to get around and they don't finish high enough.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Larry Bruce

Profile:

On the plus side, I like your triple extension - it's visible at least and this isn't always the case. Your pull seems straight up to me and your elbows seem to come under the bar fairly quickly.

I don't have active flexibility catch the bar with my elbows parallel. Can get them there but it's a strain on my wrists. Not sure if that is your issue there.

So for Crossfit purposes I think it's serviceable.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Kevin Lail

Profile:

Thanks guys. I have some wrist issues from years of Motocross and BMX racing. My shoulder flexibility is getting a little better.