CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Joseph Alberga

Profile:
Front Rack Problems with Clients

Hi all. I've been doing a lot of research lately on how to teach and instruct some of my less-than-flexible athletes to hold the bar in the front rack. Despite committed stretching routines and practice, many of them just can't get the elbows up. And the few that do then become "stuck," in that they don't have the ability to press or drop to a hang.

Does anyone have any advice/technique/cues that they've used and had success with to get their athletes into this position? These guys are becoming discouraged, and are doing great with many other advanced skills. I'd hate for them to give up because of something so basic and fundamental.

Thanks coaches!

Joe
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Front Rack Problems with Clients

Have you done these two? Both WFS
http://www.crossfitinvictus.com/blog...better-rack-2/
http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...-for-care.html

Not sure what you mean about "don't have the ability to press"....a proper front rack for a front squat or clean is not the same as the rack you'd press from.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Have you done these two? Both WFS
http://www.crossfitinvictus.com/blog...better-rack-2/
http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...-for-care.html

Not sure what you mean about "don't have the ability to press"....a proper front rack for a front squat or clean is not the same as the rack you'd press from.
Sorry, I mean they can't make any adjustments from that position because of the strain and effort it takes just to try and hold the elbows high with fingers on the bar. For example, coming up from a squat clean and adjusting to prepare for a press or jerk.

I've seen the invictus blog and have used it quite a bit. I haven't seen the progress yet though. Maybe it's too soon and still requires more time. I've just seen so many others able to get it so quickly with much less instruction and practice.

Last edited by Joseph Alberga : 04-30-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Is the problem that they can't do it under load, or can't do it at all?

- Mark
Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Alberga View Post
Sorry, I mean they can't make any adjustments from that position because of the strain and effort it takes just to try and hold the elbows high with fingers on the bar. For example, coming up from a squat clean and adjusting to prepare for a press or jerk.

I've seen the invictus blog and have used it quite a bit. I haven't seen the progress yet though. Maybe it's too soon and still requires more time. I've just seen so many others able to get it so quickly with much less instruction and practice.
Look for some videos of lifters using a slight "pop" after completing their squat to get the bar situated for the jerk. It takes some practice but isn't too hard.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Is the problem that they can't do it under load, or can't do it at all?

- Mark
For all intents and purposes, can't do it at all. Under any load, they are stuck in that typical position with elbows down behind the bar and the bar in the hands. When trying hard to get into the rack, the bar moves high across the shoulders in the right position, but when it does, the fingers slip off, and they complain that it's too much strain on the wrist. After about 20 minutes of mobility exercises, they may be able to get the elbows up with two fingers on the bar, but it's still far too uncomfortable for them.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XKLVlYt2Ioc

wfs. Look for the stretch with Jon in the latter half of the video.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
For all intents and purposes, can't do it at all. Under any load, they are stuck in that typical position with elbows down behind the bar and the bar in the hands. When trying hard to get into the rack, the bar moves high across the shoulders in the right position, but when it does, the fingers slip off, and they complain that it's too much strain on the wrist. After about 20 minutes of mobility exercises, they may be able to get the elbows up with two fingers on the bar, but it's still far too uncomfortable for them.
Can they do a no-hands front squat?

Are they protracting the shoulders or retracting them? If they are taught to retract the shoulders they absolutely will not be able to rack the bar properly. The deltoids need to move forward.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

If it's truly a mobility/flexibility thing and not a technique issue, then I don't really see another answer aside from "harden up."

Physical development -- including flexibility -- is a process. Go through it or don't, but there are no shortcuts.

- Mark
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
Paul Blair

Profile:

Quote:
Hi all. I've been doing a lot of research lately on how to teach and instruct some of my less-than-flexible athletes to hold the bar in the front rack. Despite committed stretching routines and practice, many of them just can't get the elbows up. And the few that do then become "stuck," in that they don't have the ability to press or drop to a hang.

Does anyone have any advice/technique/cues that they've used and had success with to get their athletes into this position? These guys are becoming discouraged, and are doing great with many other advanced skills. I'd hate for them to give up because of something so basic and fundamental.

Thanks coaches!

Joe
i am one of those people that find it very difficult.
It takes time, I have a video of myself from January 2012, could not squat when bar was in front rack position. I did the no hands front squat for a long time. i also stretched my wrists, KStar MWOD has a good video on that.
Suggestion is time, i was also practicing the OH Squat or thats what i called it anyway.
I found the use of Dowell or PVC difficult, using at least an 8 kilo bar felt better than no weight in a dowell or PVC. Sounds strange, yes.
Time, time, time and stretch those shoulders and wrists.