CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
Clay Jones

Profile:

I have been slowly converting to a zone/paleo style of eating with good result--so far I have dropped about 10 lbs. I had been consuming soy milk, ususally a glass or two a day with whey protein powder, and after reading of some possible issues with chemically processed soybeans I decided to try drinking milk again.

I opted to try both organic pasturized and whole milk, both from reputable/local dairys. I seem to have no problem with the pastureized milk, but the whole milk seems to give me a bit of indigestion when I take it with 22g of protein powder in the AM.

Has anyone else tried whole (unpasturized) milk and noticed the same thing? Anyone else care to share their experience with unpaturized milk? I'm going to try the whole milk for another week or so, and hope my body adjusts--I really do like the taste of it much better.

Of course, it might just be the protein powder . . . . .

Thanks in advance.:happy:
Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Clay,

How about skim milk?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Clay, good move getting away from soy milk, IMO the whole unpaturized milk thing is overblown. Just get a gallon of skim milk.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
"IMO the whole unpaturized milk thing is overblown"

This is one of those issues where I really don't know what to think. Has anyone found any unbiased information on this topic?

From what I can gather:

Unpasteurized is healthier in all respects and safe if you can get it straight from the source.

Pasteurized is definitely safe all the time but lacks the nutrition of raw milk.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Have any of you all tried this stuff?
http://www.hphood.com/products/produ...ail.asp?id=578
3g's carbs, zero fat, 12g protein. Of course the ingredients list looks like it could be petroleum based. Monohydroxiradiatedphosphoglutaglycerhicky something...
I've been drinking it. Maybe I shouldn't? Opinions?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
That stuff looks great...it got great comments on T-mag FWIW.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Donald, I have it with my coffee every morning, so far no exhust fumes coming out of my a$#!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #8
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Cool.
The chocolate tastes pretty good too, but it does have 2.5g sat fats/cup.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Pub Med has 14 (yes 14) PAGES of studies regarding the health risks of unpasteurized milk, so it may not be healthier (understatment):

Unpasteurized milk. The hazards of a health fetish.

Potter ME, Kaufmann AF, Blake PA, Feldman RA.

Meaningful differences in nutritional value between pasteurized and unpasteurized milk have not been demonstrated, and other purported benefits of raw milk consumption have not been substantiated. Conversely, the role of unpasteurized dairy products in the transmission of infectious diseases has been established repeatedly. To effectively counsel patients attracted by the health claims made for raw milk, practicing physicians must understand both the rationale used by proponents of raw milk and the magnitude of the risk involved in drinking raw milk.

PMID: 6481912 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Outbreak of Campylobacter jejuni infections associated with drinking unpasteurized milk procured through a cow-leasing program--Wisconsin, 2001.

[No authors listed]

On December 7, 2001, the Sawyer County Department of Health and Human Services in northwestern Wisconsin notified the Wisconsin Division of Public Health about five cases of Campylobacter jejuni enteritis. All of the ill persons drank unpasteurized milk obtained at a local dairy farm. This report summarizes the investigation of these and other cases and of a cow-leasing program used to circumvent regulations prohibiting the sale of unpasteurized milk in Wisconsin. The outbreak highlights the hazards of consuming unpasteurized milk and milk products.

PMID: 12118535 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Serotyping and serology studies of campylobacteriosis associated with consumption of raw milk.

Vogt RL, Little AA, Patton CM, Barrett TJ, Orciari LA.

A community outbreak of 15 cases of gastroenteritis was traced to consumption of unpasteurized milk produced at one commercial dairy. Using two different testing schemes, we found that a Campylobacter jejuni isolate from an ill patient and an isolate from a sick cow were the same serotype. Bacteriological studies suggested that a single epidemic strain of Campylobacter jejuni caused this outbreak.

PMID: 6511884 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Raw milk and human gastrointestinal disease: problems resulting from legalized sale of "certified raw milk.".

Currier RW.

PMID: 7028783 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Raw milk consumption as a probable cause of two outbreaks of campylobacter infection.

Brieseman MA.

Outbreaks of gastro-intestinal illness among groups of children using two different camp sites are described. Fifty of the children in one situation and thirty-eight at the second site were ill, with campylobacter being isolated in 50 children. Circumstantial evidence implicates raw milk as the cause of the illness.

PMID: 6589533 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Old 02-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Pasturized vs not. I actually can say something on this (though that hasn't stopped me before).

I have dairy goats here that I raise in order to milk and make cheese. I do pasturize my milk even though I know my goats are healthy. I know what they eat. I know what conditions the milking room is in. I do it because it provides a consistancy in flavor and in cheese making ability. The arguments in the gourmet dairy industry are that pasturizing does just this and since it kills the local bacteria in the milk the flavor of the cheese is more uniform. This is a good thing for me, a bad thing for the small dairy's in the world. The reason cheese (and wine) used to be known by their region is that the local bacteria's are what give each cheese their unique flavor.

I pasturize cause the milk stays fresh longer, tastes better and more uniform, and isn't difficult to do.

Maybe now I have come out of the goat closet I will have to post a goat icon one of these days!