CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
Edward Miles Hughes

Profile:
Milk, Chocolate Milk, or Something Else?

Hello everyone. I've been increasing the intensity in my workouts and my body is now wanting a post-workout "meal". I usually wake up around 5am, eat a breakfast of 2eggs, 1 slice of ham, 1 slice of cheese, and an apple, plus a cup of coffee around 530. I then hit my WOD (plus the Mobility WOD - shoutout to KStarr) from 630 to 730.

I've usually taken my next snack meal around 930, but I've taken an interest into trying to find a decent thing to do right after my workout that would replace the 930 meal. I've looked at a lot of threads and (tried) to read some stuff about supplements.

Chocolate milk seems to be the thing I'm gravitating towards because it's still a 'real' food and I've noticed even better improvements in myself since I've recently cleaned up my diet. (by clean up I mean eating clean, with as little to no processed foods as possible).

That being said I'm open to someone suggesting a supplement, or protein powder mixed with something else, etc.

Thanks in advance to everyone, and whatever I decide to do I'll let everyone know and then start a blog about it so whoever cares can follow what it does to me over the next few months.

-Miles
Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: Milk, Chocolate Milk, or Something Else?

FWIW - I drink abaout 12 oz of raw milk mixed with a scoop of protein and some psyllium fiber mixed in. Sometimes I add a cup or so of frozen berries and blend it all together.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Miles Hughes View Post
Hello everyone. I've been increasing the intensity in my workouts and my body is now wanting a post-workout "meal". I usually wake up around 5am, eat a breakfast of 2eggs, 1 slice of ham, 1 slice of cheese, and an apple, plus a cup of coffee around 530. I then hit my WOD (plus the Mobility WOD - shoutout to KStarr) from 630 to 730.

I've usually taken my next snack meal around 930, but I've taken an interest into trying to find a decent thing to do right after my workout that would replace the 930 meal. I've looked at a lot of threads and (tried) to read some stuff about supplements.

Chocolate milk seems to be the thing I'm gravitating towards because it's still a 'real' food and I've noticed even better improvements in myself since I've recently cleaned up my diet. (by clean up I mean eating clean, with as little to no processed foods as possible).

That being said I'm open to someone suggesting a supplement, or protein powder mixed with something else, etc.

Thanks in advance to everyone, and whatever I decide to do I'll let everyone know and then start a blog about it so whoever cares can follow what it does to me over the next few months.

-Miles
Chocolate milk is definitely processed. Most chocolate milks out there include a TON of corn syrup or HFCS.

What's your body comp look like? What are you goals, etc.

I'd recommend a larger meat+starchy carb (yam/squash/even fruit) meal post work out and closer to the actual wod.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Edward Miles Hughes

Profile:

Michael,

Those were my initial thoughts too. Is chocolate milk no better than soda? Probably so b/c of the HFCS. In response to your suggestion that's more or less what I'm doing now. Currently I eat a slice of turkey, 4-5 strawberries and 3 almonds. For now it hasn't been right after the workout, but if you think I should move it there and not worry about changing anything then I'll strongly consider that as well.

Not completely sure what my body composition is, not spectacular, not horrible, and it has been improving recently. If I could guess, it's probably between 15 and 20%. CrossFit dropped me from roughly 200lbs to hovering between 182-184lbs depending on the week. I haven't really figured out how to bust through that plateau, but my workout performance has been consistently improving so I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

Thanks for the reply,

Miles
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Scott Donchak

Profile:

Starchy Carbs+ Something With a Face
(Sweet potato + Chicken)

Protein Shake + Fruit
(Whole Milk+Whey+Banana)

These two are the most common options.

It's personal preference past that. Basically, get lots of carbs and protein post workout to maximize results and keep energy up throughout the day. Some people swear by the protein shakes, other like to keep it natural.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

OP, I know you only have 2 posts, but don't be afraid of the search function PWO has been discussed like a zillion times.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Christie Warner

Profile:

I've been doing a lot of long circuits - 25 to 30 minutes - and I've recently added a post-wod shake after those. One scoop of whey protein powder, some water or whole milk, and BCAA's is what works for me. I can actually feel the nutrients hit my muscles if I ingest it within 30 minutes post-wod. Super weird feeling.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Edward Miles Hughes

Profile:

Brian,

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I've researched PWO a decent amount already on the boards, but I guess it's such a personal issue that there's not really a decent consensus on what to do.

I don't really want to dive into the whole supplement world of stacker this, really-long-can't-pronounce-chemical name-that, but at the same time I know this is one area that I can improve on diet wise and wanted to get a more personal answer - hence the post.

Maybe I'll end up trying different things in 8week blocks and then compare the pros and cons after six months. Has anyone else done this? ie: real food, Milk, shake (real food), shake (protein powder/supplement) and noticed stark differences over one or the other?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Mike McGee

Profile:

Miles, where do you train? I live in Springfield. Not all chocolate milk has HFCS. Some of the organic varieties have sugar, organic sugar, etc... The idea of the sugar is to get an insulin response and many experts believe the ratio of carbs to protien in chocolate milk is ideal. There is a great series in the Journal: Zone Chronicles by Pat Sherwood, where he asks a bunch of the big name CrossFitters what their PWO nutrition is like. Definitely worth watching. Anyways, back to the chocolate milk, I buy mine from Whole Foods, right there off Old Keene Mill. I have been drinking chocolate milk PWO for about two months now. So far I don't have any complaints. One thing to note however as mentioned before, what are your goals? You said you've lost some pretty good weight. Are you maintaining right now? If you are trying to lose weight however, the 20-40 grams of sugar from the chocolate milk might not be ideal. Here are some numbers to think about when looking at PWO carbs and a link to the site I read them at:

above 12% bf - 30g prot/10g carb
8-12% bf - 30g prot/25g carb
below 8% bf - 30g prot/40g carb

basically, PWO carbs are based off bf%

Here is the link: http://confessionsofacrossfitcoach.b...-recovery.html (WFS)

I hope this helps.

Mike
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Edward Miles Hughes

Profile:

Mike,

That was the first time I had seen a PWO scale based on bf% broken out that way, it makes a lot of sense. I've seen all of the PWO Journal videos and that was another thing that got me thinking about my own PWO or lack thereof. Granted pretty much everyone on the videos falls into the extra low bf%.

In terms of my goals I guess they would be
1) Performance
2) Body Composition
3) Body Weight

I'm going to do some baseline test workouts next week (Fran, Murph, etc) to give myself a hard reference point and then retest the baseline every two months.

I work out on Ft. Belvoir. The gym only has one squat rack but hardly anyone, but myself uses it. Although there are some people that occasionally use it for barbell curls - what a great use of a squat rack...

I'll check out the commissary and whole foods for chocolate milk to just see what the nutrition facts look like between different brands. Thanks for the reply.

Miles